Unterofficer Karl Graser, 1. Fallschirmjag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unterofficer Karl Graser, 1. Fallschirmjag

Gents, I have been fortunate to acquire from his nephew a nice gathering of items from Unterofficer Karl Graser who served in Fallschirmjager Regt 1 and jumped into Crete. I acquired his visor cap (named), his Kreta beer mug, and his gravity knife. The nephew had sold his Junker para badge to another Forum member - who I contacted to try to keep the group together - and he - in a class manner sold me the Junker para badge. Thank you my friend in Poland. There are some great members on this Forum!

Recently, the nephew decided to sell me 5 flare gun casings that Karl, while in Russia - Leningrad area - I think, managed to etch or somehow create symbols on each casing. They are quite remarkable. One is a likeness of the para badge. Another is a likeness of the Luft close combat badge. Ather shows Russland. The last two show 1943 and Kreigsjahr. They are very detailed. I hope of the photos capture it.

In correspondence, the nephew shared that Karl, served in 1939 with the 7. Fliegerdivision, Transportkompanie. In 1940, with Fallschirmjager Regt 1, 2. Kompanie Fallschirm - Machinengewehr- Bataillon 1. He further served in Russia and Italy - Monte Cassino. He was killed inaction in Feb 1944.

In the photos, the helmets, ground combat badge, Ostfront 1941 are original but not his. The Kreta cufftitle is original but, again, not his.. Since we know Karl was in the 1. Fallschirmjager Regt, I was fortunate to obtain an original cufftitle recently from another Forum member. Thanks to a gentlemen is Bavaria.IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

IMG_6436.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6449.jpg

More photos

IMG_6452.jpg

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6457.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6465.jpg

Comment

More photos,

IMG_6458.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

Bike1.jpg

SnapShot1.jpg

SnapShot2.jpg

SnapShot3.jpg

3.jpg

Comment

Some additional information, the photo on the motorcycle is at the base in Greece preparing for the invasion/jump. The nephew indicated he fought in the Netherlands but I could not determine if he actually jumped or was jump qualified. The photos show him from a young lad to an experienced, hardened soldier. The photos in front of the building marked Flandern, I assume was some kind of training or NCO academy - probably in Holland with that sign behind them?

I find the flare gun schnapps cups to be quite remarkable. I know the nephew shared that he was treated for frostbite on the Russian front. A good, dedicated soldier and such a shame. Say a prayer for Karl.

Thanks

Rich

Comment

Fascinating grouping Rich.
          Makes you wonder how the other 16 in the group photo got on though, and how many of his mates in it survived...

Comment

Rich, that is a very special grouping! Is the cemetery photo from Cassino? The flare rounds trench art are pretty unique.

Kudos to you for your effort in keeping it all together.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Very nice. What kind of motorcycle is in the picture?

Comment

Fantastic grouping. First class all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by TWS View Post
                  Fantastic grouping. First class all the way.
                  Just superb.

Good to see that they are (now) back together.

I have a similar set of 'modified' flare cartridges. Good for schnapps (I'm told).

Must have been a way of spending time when out of the line ......................

N

Comment

great group, and great soldier!
                    Oriano

Comment

Fantastic group, and as far as I can see the motorcycle is a zündapp ks600👍🏻
                      Regards,
                      Mats

Comment

Something is missing in the grouping. Karl’s lanyard badge.
                        I acquired it from the same person back in 2013/2014 but strangely when I asked if he had more items he told me that everything was sold already.
                        I kept in touch with him and he told me during the summer that he only has a photo album and that he was going to sell at some point.
                        He also asked me not to share in the forum the story of his uncle Karl, neither the picture I have of him and of his grave. I went visit him on the 70th anniversary of the Montecassino Battle, ironically I bring him flowers and it was May18th.
                        Luca

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X