1940 Ypenburg /Hague Battle Fj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1940 Ypenburg /Hague Battle Fj

I stumbled across this Dutch very detailled account on the battle of Ypenburg/the Hague. I only knew beforehand that this operation didn´t go very well, but reading it I was stunned about how wrong it almost went and the high amount of losses and POWs. It reads like a blueprint of the mistakes made in Crete again and somehow when planning the battle of Crete it seems that the lessons weren´t really learnt ( focus on the hoped surprise and throwing planes and men right into the enemy). I think it is interesting to read especially in such detail. It surely wasn´t that comforting being a Fj in these airborne operations.

http://www.waroverholland.nl/index.p...hague-ypenburg

A great read! Thanks!

Gerry

Comment

Well, one needs to read various accounts from multiple sources and develop your own balanced objective view. The same is true for Kreta.
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The use of airborne infantry always comes with a certain risk. Even with the D-Day landings albeit a succes, losses where high amongst paratroopers and other airborne units. We see the same thing with Market-Garden.

If I recall the famous words of Major Dick Winters: We're paratroopers, we are supposed to be surrounded. If you look at it tactically, being surrounded is probably one of the biggest risks a commander could face when in the field.

I say the use of airborne units is to delibaretaly take that risk in order to archieve a higher tactical goal. The use of these units are what I call a military gamble.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick U View Post
          The use of airborne infantry always comes with a certain risk. Even with the D-Day landings albeit a succes, losses where high amongst paratroopers and other airborne units. We see the same thing with Market-Garden.

If I recall the famous words of Major Dick Winters: We're paratroopers, we are supposed to be surrounded. If you look at it tactically, being surrounded is probably one of the biggest risks a commander could face when in the field.

I say the use of airborne units is to delibaretaly take that risk in order to archieve a higher tactical goal. The use of these units are what I call a military gamble.
          That may all be true. I will add that flank unit coordination, sector sketches and range cards for key weapons become immensely simplified when you are surrounded!😬

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
            I stumbled across this Dutch very detailled account on the battle of Ypenburg/the Hague. I only knew beforehand that this operation didn´t go very well, but reading it I was stunned about how wrong it almost went and the high amount of losses and POWs. It reads like a blueprint of the mistakes made in Crete again and somehow when planning the battle of Crete it seems that the lessons weren´t really learnt ( focus on the hoped surprise and throwing planes and men right into the enemy). I think it is interesting to read especially in such detail. It surely wasn´t that comforting being a Fj in these airborne operations.

http://www.waroverholland.nl/index.p...hague-ypenburg
            You can also check this site, it is the same period as the attack on Ypenburg http://www.mei1940.nl/

Regards,

Danny

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X