Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon ID...

Hi Guys...

please, would need some help in finding out what kind of weapon is this Fj shooting with... I know, I might ask in the specific forum, but... I feel better here... I am sure someone will be able to help me as well!
    Many thanks in advance!

Daniele
    Attached Files

It's a Belgian version of the BAR
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Or polish BAR

Comment

Well known image, with the specific photo shown being a poor quality, post war copy.
        Last edited by Hundestaffel; 08-24-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Yes, a Polish 1928 BAR. Which is almost identical to the Belgian one.
          Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Guys, many thanks for the inputs.
            Although I really love period pictures, as I do consider them as the basis of our collecting, I am really, really far from being expert on them. So, I was not aware that this is a very known picture... Maybe I'd better ask immediately if anyone had an idea of where and when the image had been taken. Sorry...

My main interest and curiosity was in fact basically meant to try and find a correct "place in time" when approx the shot was taken. I mean, if an early Fj campaign/operation, or later in time. The weapon is unusual to me, so maybe thought that acquiring further infos on it might have provided more elements to it.
            Now, knowing is a belgian/polish weapon, I assume is most likely a weapon taken "on the field"... would then in your opinion correct assume that this shot must have been taken in one of the very early Fj operations?

Then, for what concern originality of his specific photo, Hundestaffel could be definitely right, as he easily knows much more than I do on this...I do not really know that much when talking about repro images: the only thing I know when triyng to detect fake images are really few "basic" rules", like the "blue light test", and really few more. But one thing I had been tought (assuming it was a correct info...) that photos printed on "agfa-brovira" paper leave the owner a very good percentage of certainty for what concerns originality. But I guess this is not the right place for such a specific discussion, so I am now going to start asap a link into the specific forum.

Again, many thanks for both the inputs on the weapon, and the originality of the whole picture in itself.

Comment

Daniele, IMO the photo (and I too doubt it is an original photo) was not taken before 1942. Just a guess. The K98 is a sniper variant and not many of those were around before 1942. A trench such as that is another indicator. He wears a MG pouch so there is likely to be another MG around. It all leads to a well-prepared defensive position.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The photo is shown in " Der Stille Angriff " by I. Tannahill, T. Steinke and O. Gonzalez dealing with the Sturmabteiling Koch operation in 1940.

Comment

Yes, in our book at page 149 (German version) Sturmgruppe STAHL on 10. Mai 1940.
                  best regards
                  Gehlert

Comment

Well, that now makes perfect sense. Captured Belgian trenches, BAR, and an early sniper rifle (few were available that early on but SA Koch would have had what they needed). As well as a photo likely copied from the book (page 155 in the English version).
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Belgian Bar

This photo is taken in Veldwezelt, Belgium, in the trenches near the bridge of the Albertcanal.
                      A few metres from the Dutch border.
                      The trenches belonged to the 2nd Carabenir regiment, but as the bunkers were defended by the Grenswielrijders, an elite troop, it could belonge also to them.
                      Note the sniper rifle.

Take care

Rudi
                      conservator Fortress Eben Emael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X