• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Fallschirmjäger after the war

1946 - My future parents.

My father was 23 years old
    Attached Files
    Last edited by naxos; 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM.

1953 - He has gained some weight again
    Attached Files
    Last edited by naxos; 08-13-2019, 04:58 PM.

Comment

great, i like the 2nd foto, looks handsome after more weight.
      you have a FJ father, thats so cool, any history about his war time?

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerElite View Post
        great, i like the 2nd foto, looks handsome after more weight.
        you have a FJ father, thats so cool, any history about his war time?

Thanks for your interest. See link - (I have to replace the missing photos and correct some errors)

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=bio
        Attached Files
        Last edited by naxos; 08-13-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Fascinating thread (& biography link ) thanks for sharing this. Very interesting.
          Your father was a man of few words about the war, as was typical - so difficult for us now to fathom what it must have been like for such a young man to be involved in year upon year of war - at the front - one of the lucky ones too !

Comment

1949 - First car, Mercedes-Benz 170V
            Attached Files
            Last edited by naxos; 08-13-2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

He looks like your grandfather from BLG Rgt Nr 109 that you showed me years ago.

You should remember me because you helped me translate some relatives stuff and sold me the LT d. R Zipse Bar. PM if you can’t remember.

Originally posted by naxos View Post
              Thanks for your interest. See link - (I have to replace the missing photos and correct some errors)

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...&highlight=bio

Comment

Originally posted by Ostprussenmann View Post

You should remember me because you helped me translate some relatives stuff and sold me the LT d. R Zipse Bar. PM if you can’t remember.
                of course I remember!

Really appreciate the book you gave me!

Comment

Hardy, nice to see these early photos of your parents.
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                    Hardy, nice to see these early photos of your parents.
                    Thank you, Willi!

Thought I would show something different - there was life after for the ones that survived.

Comment

I agree. And, as we have discussed, remembering the life they lived after those years is far more rewarding to us as we age.
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post
                        I agree. And, as we have discussed, remembering the life they lived after those years is far more rewarding to us as we age.

Comment

Very fascinating read and love the photos. I also really enjoyed your other thread about his wartime service.
                          A salute to both of your parents.

Comment

Great story, thank you for sharing! I really enjoy reading about the history of individual soldiers, both war and postwar. It often wonder what these men actually thought about their time in the forces after their return home.

The fact that your father was a "quiet man when it came to the war", as you mentioned in the other thread, is symptomatic for the German post-war society. Unless amongst former comrades, the time between 1933 and 1945 was not really mentioned. My father, born in 1944 and son of a former Flak-Unteroffizier, told me he didn´t even know his father had been in the military until he found a few pictures showing his father wearing a uniform. The war was never brought up at dinner, and even when my father confronted his father with the pictures he only lost a few words about his time in the Luftwaffe. I guess lots of veterans felt ashamed that they fought for a wrong and evil cause... unless they had the "time of their life" during the war, such as soldiers like Oberst Rudel.

Best,

Matthias

Comment

What an amazing thread, as is the link to the wartime history of your dad. Every time someone reads this, it keeps his memory alive!

I also found that relatives and acquaintances felt that they couldn’t share their experiences of war. They probably (correctly) assumed that their actions would be judged by people who could have no understanding of what was necessary to stay alive. Also, I remember the comments of a NZ veteran of the First World War. On returning to New Zealand, he was asked by one of his aunts what it was like. Her sister insisted that he wouldn’t want to talk about it, so the conversation stopped there. 70 years later, when interviewed by the Auckland museum, he said “after that, no one asked, so I never told.”

I collect German documents because of the stories they can tell.

Thanks for your post!

Michael

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X