Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about fallschirmjäger uniform

Hi,

As I don't know much about the uniforms worn by the German Fallschirmjäger in Crete or Greece in 1941, could someone give me a brief description of the uniform worn by the officer located on the right in the photo? Does he wear Afrikakorps shirt and shorts ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Richard D; 06-29-2019, 09:21 AM.

The officer on the right appears to be in tropical or light weight uniform with his wool 4-pocket service tunic and belt. The "shorts" look like cut-off tropical trousers as there shouldn't be a wide turn up like what you see here.

Comment

I believe the FJ acquired some British/Commonwealth tropical uniform items in Crete.

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
        I believe the FJ acquired some British/Commonwealth tropical uniform items in Crete.
        Not some - that was the only trooical stuff they could get. So everything tropical you see at fotos taken after the battle is not german origin.

Edit: its Horst Trebes

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
          The officer on the right appears to be in tropical or light weight uniform with his wool 4-pocket service tunic and belt. The "shorts" look like cut-off tropical trousers as there shouldn't be a wide turn up like what you see here.
          Very interesting comment. Thank you!

Yes indeed, the shorts worn by the officer on right look like cut-off tropical trousers.

Here is another photo of this officer with the same uniform..

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
            Not some - that was the only trooical stuff they could get. So everything tropical you see at fotos taken after the battle is not german origin.

Edit: its Horst Trebes
            Thank you for your comment.

So, if I understand you correctly, the tropical shirt and shorts we can see on this photo would be British stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
              Good point! Thanks.

Comment

I think that the tropiclal helmet we can see on this photo are also British-made.

Comment

Of course - as i already said, everything tropical worn by paras immediately worn after the battle was captured.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    Of course - as i already said, everything tropical worn by paras immediately worn after the battle was captured.
                    So, the same thing for this paratrooper whose shorts would be British-made (photo taken in Crete on July 1941). However, I think that the tropical shirt worn by his two colleagues are German-made.

Comment

The baggy shorts are universally known in Britain as "Bombay bloomers" - a sort of joke. There were lots of slightly different styles. The ones being worn in the photo are the version with extra large turn-ups. The turn-ups could be un-buttoned and worn down when required.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products...mbay-Bloomers/
                      Last edited by SMP; 06-29-2019, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Patrick is correct anything tropical in Crete after the Battle was British or commonwealth made and from captured stocks. I acquired a bag full of tropical items at a flea market in Stuttgart that had a tropical British Tunic with German Flak insignia attached and British & Australian tropical shorts...ID'd by service numbers and one pair of shorts ID'd to a KIA.

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                          The baggy shorts are universally known in Britain as "Bombay bloomers" - a sort of joke. There were lots of slightly different styles. The ones being worn in the photo are the version with extra large turn-ups. The turn-ups could be un-buttoned and worn down when required.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products...mbay-Bloomers/
                          Nice information! Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                            Patrick is correct anything tropical in Crete after the Battle was British or commonwealth made and from captured stocks. I acquired a bag full of tropical items at a flea market in Stuttgart that had a tropical British Tunic with German Flak insignia attached and British & Australian tropical shorts...ID'd by service numbers and one pair of shorts ID'd to a KIA.

Could we say that the tropical shirts worn by the Fallschirmjäger on the above photos are the Australian version of the British KD tropical shirt?

Comment

I couldn't say for sure but there were Tropical British. Australian and New Zealand kit on Crete. No German Tropical!!!!

Originally posted by Richard D View Post
                              Could we say that the tropical shirts worn by the Fallschirmjäger on the above photos are the Australian version of the British KD tropical shirt?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X