Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger in Crete - Places to visit

Hello Everyone,

In June I'll be visiting Crete for 8 days. During my stay on the island, I plan to visit places such as the Samaria Gorge, the Palace of Knossos and Palm Beach. However, because of my interest in the Fallschirmjäger during the Second World War, I would also like to visit some of the island's WW2 landmarks. Since I have never owned or read any books about Fallschirmjäger during their defence of Crete in 1941, I know very little about the Battle of Crete. I would love to visit at least a couple of sites where fighting took place whilst I'm out there, as I have no intention of returning to the island anytime soon. So once I've visited, I won't be going back for a few years at least!

Any help, advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to waste such a great opportunity because of my lack of knowledge about such an interesting and hard fought battle. Book and website recommendations are also welcome.

I went to create back in 2007 with some friends. We rented a car and paid a visit to maleme airfield and the Germany cemetery there. Theses also a small museum at the sight. It's worth the trip.
    Troy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X