m37 fallschirmjager helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m37 fallschirmjager helmet

Is it true that the helmets they where testing had the split pins shearing off on impact with the ground and they ordered 1000 new helmet pins from the luftwaffe,if so would they not be a slightly different shade to the original field grey colour of the helmet.Regards Joe.

m37

It seems no one knows about this event,I have found evidence it did occur,nobody else can give an opinion?Regards Joey.

Comment

Where did you find your evidence and can you post where you obtained your information. I think it would be interesting to read.

Will

Comment

The fake M37 helmets, in many cases, had the M31 liner rivets in a different color.

Never heard that story regarding shearing off liner rivets from jumps. A parachute jump which resulted in such force to shear off the rivets would likely result in serious injuries to the jumper.

The M38 liners and bolts replaced the early liner assembly, which is why we only know of 1 or 2 complete M37 helmets with the original liner assembly.

Though this thread is a year old, I would still like to see the evidence.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Bear documents this in his (and Angola’s) book but I am pretty sure that it is pertaining to the standard M35 helmets and problems they had on the early issues.

I assume but am unclear on how they strengthened the pins to correct the problem. No doubt some combination of different strength steel or thicker tabs.

Comment

Phild, I'll check the Baer books. I think I have 3 variants.

Regarding these fake M37 FJ helmets, I would have to refresh my memory, or find all the threads here where we have discussed these. The Italian fakers used original M35 helmets/parts, so folks in the past has used the replaced pins/ rivet excuse to justify the positive authenticity of those helmets.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Curiosity got to me so I checked as I doubt that I have read that section in 25-30 years. The first edition (1985) references the weak split pins in at least 2 places. The first is (as I recalled above) regarding the first small issue to the LW of 500 M35 helmets in early 1936. This can be found on pages 121-122.

The second reference that I found on page 207 is indeed referring to the 1st model FJ helmet with the 3 split pins, sometimes shearing pins.

Somewhere I thought I recalled reading where the LW ordered extra pins but have not found that passage yet, I think it was just for helmets in general.

On thing is hinted at in the LW report on the M35 and that is the weak liner band used prior to 1939/40. It seems that the band flexibility may have contributed to the pins shearing.

One other interesting aspect is that the original specs called for sheet BRASS split pins, at some point later these were changed to steel.
              Last edited by phild; 03-05-2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Interesting. The 1st model FJ helmet was the M36. Will have to take at look to see how he breaks down the 3 models of FJ helmets.
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X