M38 with tan/green scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M38 with tan/green scheme

NOTE TO MODS: I posted this same thread in the JBH forum, if this is not allowed please remove!

I took a risk on this helmet on eBay from a terrible listing with 2 photos taken from a mile away of what they said was a WWI helmet. Now, having it in hand, it is certainly a beautiful original camo M38. However, what is very strange is that the screws have been replaced with regular helmet split rivets, and they do exhibit some signs of the camo paint scheme. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Close-up of the rivet with paint on it:

Congrats! 👍

Comment

Camo is fine to me. More details in the helmet section.
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

1945 production para helmets had split pins instead of bolts. There is a studio portrait of this helmet being worn dated April 1945 on the back.

Comment

very cool lid

Comment

combat reiussed and camoed helmet IMO. Good eye

Comment

Originally posted by blau250 View Post
              combat reiussed and camoed helmet IMO. Good eye
              No, not reissued. Made at factory with split pins in 1945. Mint unissued one in Kurtz book shows same factory paint all over helmet.

Comment

but how can you fix the chinstrap ??
                normal bolts are too short

Comment

This is the picture mentioned by the Member Skara Brae: he sent it to me because he cannot post pictures, and I post it under his permission.

It possible to recognize that this helmet has the split pins instead of the "normal" bolts.

Regarding the late war unissued helmet with split pins in the book of Robert Kurtz, I saw it time ago directly and I confirm that the pins itself are able to fix the chinstrap.

Thanks!
                  Michele
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Michele. The Foto is dedication on the back to his girlfriend/wife dated April 1945. Notice also his belt buckle.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
                      No, not reissued. Made at factory with split pins in 1945. Mint unissued one in Kurtz book shows same factory paint all over helmet.
                      This is a pretty bold statement to make. What information do you have to back it up besides a picture or two that are not all that clear and inconclusive? Why would there be a shortage of bolts at the ET factory, of all things?

I have an M38 with 2 split rivets in the rear holes and a spanner bolt on each sides. It is an out of the woodwork piece so not fooled with by collectors at least. But the rivets were obviously replacements, not factory issue.

Just asking. Sorry, I am a bit leery of unequivocal statements like this.

By the way, I like the helmet in this thread. I just think it was probably modified post war by a collector.

Cheers,
                      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by M35 View Post
                        This is a pretty bold statement to make. What information do you have to back it up besides a picture or two that are not all that clear and inconclusive? Why would there be a shortage of bolts at the ET factory, of all things?

I have an M38 with 2 split rivets in the rear holes and a spanner bolt on each sides. It is an out of the woodwork piece so not fooled with by collectors at least. But the rivets were obviously replacements, not factory issue.

Just asking. Sorry, I am a bit leery of unequivocal statements like this.

By the way, I like the helmet in this thread. I just think it was probably modified post war by a collector.

Cheers,
                        Terry

In the portrait photo it is irrefutable. The helmet has split pins. Also, the mint helmet in the Kurtz book which never left the factory is absolute proof the helmets were made this way. Others have been found. Instead of having opinions you should listen to experts and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
                          Instead of having opinions you should listen to experts and learn.

"Ouch" I'd say Terry is in the field of experts.....

Regardless.... Nice helmet and photo...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kibler View Post
                            "Ouch" I'd say Terry is in the field of experts.....

Seconded, and there is no doubt about that

Comment

I kid you not, but there are honestly some times here on the forum where someone just says something out of the blue and they don't realize who they are saying it to, that it is so funny that I laugh so hard that I'm afraid I'm going to crap tightie whities. Pardon me whilst I go check something....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X