First FJ deployment at Cassino

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First FJ deployment at Cassino

I bought this very nice KIA portrait named to Monte Cassino. Of interest to me is that his "gefallen" date is 8/12/43. The official start of the Cassino battles is in January 1944.

I am trying to figure when was the first deployment of FJ in this areas and what battles predated the Cassino battles. I know of the battle of San Pietro just south of Cassino (mid Dec), but what was the involvement of FJ's there?

In another thread by Marco, Gran Sasso commented:
    " Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
    Not sure why this thread was in the FJ Forum as there seems to have been no FJ involvement (though I may be wrong!), unless it's because it was a prelude to Cassino?"

"Gran Sasso
    I know a para vet who fought and was wounded at San Pietro. "

On the east side of Italy there was Ortona later Dec where FJ1 was involved.

I got this from a post from Marco and Willy here.

"Most of the division was in Sicily and withdrew by mid-August. They then ended up near Salerno, and then moved to Ortona, as Marco pointed out. "

"First elements of 1.FJD arrived to Cassino from Ortona between last days of january and first days of february 1944 by trucks.
    1 FJR was in the area between the Abbey and Mt.Castellone; III./FJR3 of Major Kratzert was on Hill 593 and Masseria Albaneta and Machine Gun Battalion of Major Schmidt around the Castle Hill and Mt. Calvario.
    After the bombing of the monastery, general von Senger ask to Kesserling more troops and Kesselring authorize to transfer the entire division to Cassino.
    At the end of the february all the 1.FJD was in Cassino area.
    In march, FJR.3 was in the city and FJR1 and FJR4 was on the hills around Cassino. "

I would appreciate some more info on this. Thanx J
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jacquesf; 04-22-2018, 04:40 AM.

Nice portrait. He is not listed in the Volksbund database.

Comment

Montecassino? The hot line of the Fallschmirjager in Italy the first week of december 1943 was Orsagna (south of Ortona)....

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa View Post
        Montecassino? The hot line of the Fallschmirjager in Italy the first week of december 1943 was Orsagna (south of Ortona)....
        I am aware of it. Hence the question, based on the portrait and Gran Sasso's comment. J

Comment

the first Cassino battle in Wehrpass is 8.2.1944-28.2.1944
          1.abwehrschlacht bei Cassino
          8.12.1943 is abwehrschlacht a. Sangro.
          not Cassino

Comment

The text on the backside of the photo was obviously written much later. "Cassino" is just an error here in my opinion. Something that often happened.

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
              The text on the backside of the photo was obviously written much later. "Cassino" is just an error here in my opinion. Something that often happened.

Kind regards, Peter
              Peter, that was my first thought as well, or the date. Any other fjs known to be around Cassino as per Patrick's post regarding San Pietro?

Also what about the absence of his name in the Volks bund records?

I also noticed the absence of an eagle on his tunic? J

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X