Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paratrooper photo

Hi,
    Came across this photo in a old book does any body have any info on the place/unit and why the shaved heads.
    Thanks Merdock
    Attached Files

According to "Luftwaffe Airborne and Field Units" (Osprey Publishing, by Martin Windrow) This is their explanation of this photo:

"The origin of this photograph is unknown, as is the significance of the shaved heads - probably simply a ferocious 'fashion' among personnel of a parachute unit" (p. 12)

Sorry I couldnt be of much help, I just thought i'd throw in that Osprey Publishing isn't even sure. I am very interested also if anybody has any information regarding this photo!

Comment

The only "bald paras" I know of where in the Crete invasion - shortly before the Crete battle, some guys (company?) shaved their heads. I think there are some more pics in JYNs book on the Crete battle.

Frank.

Comment

Fjr 3

Originally posted by Frank Schneider
        The only "bald paras" I know of where in the Crete invasion - shortly before the Crete battle, some guys (company?) shaved their heads. I think there are some more pics in JYNs book on the Crete battle.

Frank.
        I think those troopers are from Fallschrimjäger Rgt 3. Check the second book written by Klaus J. Peters. There are similar photos in there.

Jürg
        Strength and Honour
        http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X