Kampfgruppe

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gebirgsjäger sleeve badge in use with FJ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger sleeve badge in use with FJ??

Has anyone have period images to share of the Heer GJ Edelweiss sleeve badge worn by FJ personnel?

I have encountered a FJ smock with such a badge (period) attached. Perhaps a Brandenburg legacy or simply a unofficial link to previous service...?

Any input much appreciated.

Z.

Possible evidence of participation in the Narvik expedition.

Comment

even if the FJ was involved in Narvik I would say that wouldn´t entitle him to wear a different unit patch. So it does sound strange. A former Gbjg who became a FJ would also be quite a weird explanation I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
        even if the FJ was involved in Narvik I would say that wouldn´t entitle him to wear a different unit patch. So it does sound strange. A former Gbjg who became a FJ would also be quite a weird explanation I suppose
        In any case of course it would be un-official...but as known this happened on more than one ocassion and in all branches, that soldiers kept their former status symbolics. In the subject case of GJ is f.e. W-SS Brigade Wallonien illustrative for the official allowance.

For that reason it would be great to find some period photographic proof of a non conformist FJ!

Comment

Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
          Like Meindl, perhaps.

As a GJ:-

http://www.akpool.co.uk/postcards/26...ruppen-vda-e-4

As an FJ:-

http://www.akpool.co.uk/postcards/24...llschirmjaeger

But I have never seen him wear anything on his LW uniform that would link to his previous Heer service (apart from his awards, of course).

N

Comment

There are so many photos of Heer personnel wearing paratroop smock. Don't know why people thinking some magic rule only paratrooper wearing smock. I see at least 10 photo of ordinary army soldiers using them. Logic explaination is mountain trooper find useful smock and put his Edelweiss on it sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaraBrae View Post
              There are so many photos of Heer personnel wearing paratroop smock..
              I agree; but in the subject case it concerns a FJ smock definitly worn by a LW officer.

These are always hypothetical discussions and best proofed by photographic evidence; hence the starting of this thread.

Comment

And a Heer Jäger badge for the matter...worn by FJ personnel?

Anyone ever seen this in a period image?

Comment

Heer GJ and Jäger with FJ equipment and smocks yes, brandenburgers for example. LW personnel wearing the cap edelweiss, yes.

Heer jäger and GJ sleeve insignia being worn by FJ? No.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X