FJ Helmet story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Helmet story!

About two years ago I set out to acquire an FJ helmet for my collection. I looked high and low for one that suited me and found that...well, nice ones are damn hard to find. After about a year of badgering, reminding and pestering a major dealer, I was able to acquire a very very nice later war SD. I had to pay thru all of the usual body orifices of course, but I had a nice original example. Now lets rewind a few weeks. We have a small show here in Hampton Roads at our local war museum. Just some local dealers, collectors, guns etc etc. This year one of my buddies set up his Japanese militaria stuff as a display. About mid day, a young couple came into the show with two metallic objects clangng together in an old cardboard box. Well out popped a SD M40 Luftwaffe and...you guessed it...a SD FJ, fairly early w/ steel spanner bolts etc. The local dealers and collectors descended on this poor guy, and immediately tried to weedle the helmets out of him. My friend, being a reformed German militaria collector, and seeing this happen, pulled the guy aside and told him exactly what he had, and asked where they had come from. His Grandfather, a US Army vet of North Africa and Italy, had brought them back as war trophies. They had been in his attic until he passed away recently, then the Grandson got them. His wife wanted them gone ASAP, and they needed some extra money. My friend (who I now owe big time), gave the grandson my name as someone who collected helmets, and would either offer a fair price or tell him where to go to get one. Bottom line, I just returned from his house after paying a fair price for both helmets. All that time, a super FJ helmet was in an attic 10 minutes from my home...jeeez. The helmet itself is really great, completely and totally untouched, named to an Oberjaeger (Schlosser) in the liner, and with a nickel size dent in the side from what looks to have been a spent bullet or butt stock. The harness is all there, but fragile. There also appears to have been a mailing label taped onto the exterior at one time. Just goes to show...patience is a virtue, and good stuff IS still out there! If I can borrow a digicam I'll take some pics.
    Last edited by Luftm40; 09-24-2002, 07:18 PM.

Andy

Thats great, I am happy for you.

Are you going to keep both helmets?

Comment

Congrats Andy!! Would love to see the pics. And, let me know if you need some advice on preserving the chinstraps. Many need some TLC to last longer.

Willi
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Andy,
        that coupled with your RK+EL find pretty much use up all your lucky find credits..........

Comment

Thanks, I'm pretty tickled pink w/ the find. The helmets look great together. I was originally going to sell the M40, but after looking it over, I think I'll hang onto it, at least for a bit. Its one of the green "field division" helmets and was probably captured at about the same time as the FJ, and also in Italy. The FJ helmet is "in the vault" along with some of the other things in my collection that will go to my sons eventually. Vet acquired FJ helmets don't roll around too often. Willi: I would like to hear about harness preservation...might be interesting info for all of us
          Last edited by Luftm40; 09-25-2002, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Hi Andy,

I seldom recommend doing anything to a helmet. But, the chinstraps can get very hard, cracked and fragile. The only thing I do is to use my finger and a leather treatment called "Lexol" and put a very small amount on the leather parts of the chinstraps. I never put it on the inside of the straps, on the softer part and I never put anything on the liner. Lexol can darken lighter leather but has never affected the chinstrap. A few helmets that I got from George Petersen needed some TLC as the straps were very dry and cracked. Just a small amount spread with my finger made a big difference. Another substance that I just bought is "Pecards for antiques" and I have not tried it yet.

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi and Andy,

Do not use Lexol. It has something in it (H 2O?) that can, and will, rust metal (chin strap fittings). Pecard does not, nor does it evaporate/dry out over time as Lexol seems to. Pecard will preserve the metal as well as the leather. But, use very, very small amounts of it. It will slightly darked leather as well, and as Willi said, don't apply anything to the suede inside. Doing less or nothing is always better than doing too much. Speaking to the newer collectors here Andy, know that you already know.... Have had and seen too many helmet liners that were over treated or cleaned. Over cleaning will ruin a helmet's value and appearance. Still, despite what has been posted on this subject before, sometimes leather that has been subjected to extreme heat and humidity needs a (very) light preserative or it will eventually turn to dust, and I plan to leaving my favorite ones to my son.

Regards,
              John
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, may be shifting to Pecards. Have only used such little Lexol over the years..only use my finger tip to apply it, and never touch the metal. I agree that thought we hate to treat anything, some of the straps need a light touch.......

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Last edited by Frank Mills; 05-01-2003, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Hi Andy,

Great story! Did you find out what Division & Regiment the guy's grandfather was in? Doing a little research on that may produce some other interesting details. I have had good luck finding buddies of US vets I am researching with some rather simple inquries. May be worth a shot!

Rick

Comment

Rick, The Grandson didn't know many details about his Grandfather's service, other than where he served and that he was in the infantry. He also lived in NC. I asked him to find some more info for me, and send it via email...I'll see if he follows thru

Comment

Paper sacks must be popular for FJ helmet transport

I carry mine upside down in the sack. I'm considering upgrading to a hat box for transport (when I can afford it)

Comment

Last edited by Frank Mills; 05-01-2003, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X