How were FJ helmets issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How were FJ helmets issues?

Since I am obsessed recently w/FJ helmets, here is something I have always wondered about. When a para was issued his helmet, was the chin strap mounted? Or did the trooper mount and adjust his own? Are there any period pics...similar to what I have seen w/ M35 helmets...of FJ helmets being issued and/or stored?

Hi Andy,

Interesting question and I too am curious to hear what most will say.

From my discussions with FJ veterans (just spent the day with one yesterday), they were given a helmet at jump school to wear during the training, but it was returned upon completion. They had the opportunity to adjust the straps during training and the correct tools (especially for the spanner bolts) were provided. Adjusting the helmet was part of this training. They then reported to their unit and received their helmet at the unit supply point. Not sure what level this occurred; regimental, battalion or company. Some vets say the "Waffenmeister" was the guy they went to during their time in the unit to replce a damaged helmet.

Many vets say the same thing about their smocks; received one during training, returned it, got a new one once reporting to unit, replcaements were issued by the "Waffenmeister".

Would like to hear what others have learned........

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X