SOS '05 FJ Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOS '05 FJ Report

It was a rather large and well-attended show. There were some nice items but just wasn't like the "old days". The best stuff gets passed from collector to collector never seeing the light of the show.

Things that I know were sold (FJ theme):
    • 2 DD M38 FJ helmets.
    • 2 camo M38s.
    • A few nice SD FJs.
    • Ramcke Brigade marked Luftwaffe tropical tunic.
    • "Afrika" cufftitled Fliegerbluse.
    • Splinter step-in smock.
    • FJ Soldbuch.
    • Alot of Luftwaffe insignia, tropical items, field gear, and uniform items.
    • A nice pair of FJ boots may have gone by today.
    • Helmets in general were selling pretty quickly.
    • A nice Junker marked early aluminum Heer APB badge sold.
    • Several cloth and metal FJ badges sold.
    • A cloth Heer APB sold.
    • A couple of Kreta cufftitles sold. Nice veteran obtained pieces at reasonable prices.
    Many items not listed were sold to dealers. I saw a number of Luftwaffe tropical belts, caps, shirts, tunics being sold, but not sure if they were sold again. I thought this was unusual since now people will have to pay even more. Perhaps $$ was just short. Many items went to Europe with European dealers being tough to buy from since the dollar is weak. Some guys who normally bring some nice stuff over from Europe didn't bother this time, because of that. That was a shame. Quite a large amount of bad stuff was brought over here though. A few Czech dealers were present. Bad Luftwaffe tropical tunics, trousers, photos, field gear, etc. Most of it was at fool's prices and some if it sold. I tried to help the best that I could. Why people would buy items that were so undermarket priced from dealers who couldn't sell the good stuff because the Euro is strong right now, is just simply beyond me. Like a fake Luft trop tunic selling for $600 (when they bring around $1500) from a table full of fake items, fiddled with uniforms, etc.

A few things are still around:
    • Mint water pattern FJ smock.
    • I secured a complete FJ mannequin from a friend for another friend, but was/am able to move the stuff to poeple who needed the items. Several forum members picked up a few items from that. A few more items to go this week. Perhaps some will post what they found in general.
    • Many Luftwaffe tropical items were still unsold.
    • Not sure if a prelim RK grouping to a FJ sold.
    • Saw 2 cloth Heer APBs that didn't sell.
    • A few camo FJs remained.
    • Other FJ helmets remained.
    • Luftwaffe assault gun trousers.
    • A terribly butchered green step-in smock still around.
    • A shortened Luft tropical step-in smock.
    For me the show wasn't too exciting, regarding finds. I picked up cut Luftwaffe insignia, a number of trop items, field gear, smock eagles, Kreta cufftitle, etc. For me the better stuff will come after the show from those I met at the show. It was great to meet some forum members for the first time and some who have been helped by the FJ section in the past. Was also nice to network with the "masters" of the hobby, such as Jerome Blake (who had some of the most amazing SS camos items with him) and some others who have invaluable information.

One of the most important reasons to go to a show like the SOS, is to see the newest fakes that are being made. And, I don't mean reproductions for the re-enacting community. I mean fakes from Europe that are being made to fool collectors. While the vast majority of it does not successfully sell here, some of it does. Studying what is new is invaluable.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Hi Willi

Thanks for the report!
    I get dizzy and green with envy just by reading the list!
    Definately have to plan the trip for next year!

I have heard about some very high priced items and was wondering if this spilled over to the more common items as well?

Any pictures?

All the best
    Yannis

Comment

Sorry Yannis, no photos from me. I know JohnC took some photos and will probably soon report in. He was a very happy man after the show as he picked up many FJ items. Perhaps he will share them when he concludes his travel.

Many of us were also able to finally examine one of the "newly discovered" water pattern draw string covers. Many of the FJ/helmet guys were able to study it. How any experienced collector could believe these things are original is just simply mind boggling. There was NOTHING correct about it. The fabric, stampings, draw string, construction and features were just all wrong! But, I think it sold on Friday.....amazing.

On a non-FJ theme, there were some amazing Heer tunics and Heer tropical items present at the show. Alot of helmets were also sold. Also a very strong showing of insignia. It actually took me about 3 hours on Friday morning to make it through every mount on most of the tables. That is the best way to find some interesting items in the hands of people who are not quite sure what they have. Though buys make it worth the effort to get to such a large show and still add the excitement factor of getting a bargain. Balances the pain felt when buying something from someone who knows what you are trying to find and can't say no too.

A ton of fake FJ badges too. Some nice zinc ones were present though. I think there was a named early Assman, but I couldn't find it when I was told about it.
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Excellent report Willi.
        Sounds like you had a great time. What can you tell us about the splinter step-in smock ? How much was it and where did it go ? etc. PM me if you like.

I hope you will be posting some of your finds for us all to drool over.

Cheers,
        Steve

P.S. Where is Johnie ?

Comment

Giday Willi,

Thanks for the report.

Could you please provide further details about the preliminary award document for the Ritterkreuz? Do you remember the name of the Fallschirmjäger and the price?

All the best,

Ian

Comment

SOS badge find

I dug this out of a case of bad badges. A very nice zinc Meybauer paratrooper that matched my textbook perfectly. The mark is one of those that is faint but all there.

Alan
            Attached Files

Comment

A close up of the mark, the scanner doesn't do it much justice but direct sunlight will
              Attached Files

Comment

Willi is being modest....

Willi is being modest. There was a decent complete FJ rig (w/ some issues, but still a nice set up). It was within a nano-second of going to an over priced dealer in Europe when Willi made the move and secured the whole thing, including several items for forum members, including me. I just got back due to bad weather but I will post photos soon. The items I got from the para set:

-FJ gas mask bag
                -Near mint splinter bandoleers with PRYM snaps
                -Worn full length, unlined FJ gloves

I also picked up a couple cloth badges, a very nice Imme/Sohn badge, and a 1st Fallschirm-Korps pin in its paper packet.

A friend also sold me a nice thick green/brown M-38 cammo that I cannot stop staring at.

The show was absolutley great. Just to meet fellow collectors and to see/handle items like the mint M-38 DD and the other cammos already mentioned was worth the trip itself. I was nice to finally put faces to email postings (Willi, JohnB, Raoul and Gerard to name a few).

John

Comment

Willi & John,

Thanks for the FJ report, just climb out of the sack after suffering from dreadful flu, a pity I missed the show, but I would have been sick as a parrott if I had come and ended up with flu in a hotel!!!!
                  Regards
                  Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

SOS Finds

Finally got caught up enough to post some of my finds from the show. The field gear took a little cajolling and assistance from Willi, but in the end the full FJ set up was broken down. I'll start with the people pics since putting faces to emails and callsigns, eating raw steak (in Willi's case shoe string patatoe sticks) and drinking beer made the show for me. Otherwise you are just walking around alone looking at old stuff, which is not that fun. This first pic is of Gerard S. of the Relic Hunter, a great guy that I've known for years over the internet and finally had a chance to meet. Heand his wife are great people and he had some really great stuff at his table.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is Willi and I after the big strip down of the full FJ mannequin. We looked like a bunch of pirhanas on that thing. You'll see why I'm smiling in a few frames.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The FJ gas mask bag that came from the display:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here is a close up of the PRYM snaps:
                          Attached Files

Comment

FJ gloves also from the display:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Splinter ammo bandoleers w/ PRYM snaps. Someone said there was no FJ related field gear at this show, but I saw a few FJ related items here and there:
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by JohnC; 03-03-2005, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X