Cut down FJ smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut down FJ smock

Thought I would post a picture given to me by a local veteran which was taken of him in May of '44 outside of Rome. He served with "Fallschirm Pionier Bataillon 4". He was captured a month later while part of a rear guard while his unit pulled out of Rome. He had lost his k98 a few days earlier and as punishment was placed on the rear guard.

This smock belonged to his senior NCO, who was killed in a vehicle accident shortly before. Thought I would share this unique photo.

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Hi Willi,

I can't see the image. Can you email it to me? Thanks,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Great picture !
      Nice combination,tough jacket and the trousers.
      I like to know more about these trousers though,thinking of starting a new thread.

JOHN,the glasses,where are your glasses ?

Jos.

Comment

Damn John, keep those glasses on your nose..

I too need glasses! will turn 45 while at the Max.

Try to view the pic again. Sometimes I have try to view pics a few times.

Jos, the trousers are standard Luft tropical trousers.......

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I know Willi,I meant to start a thread about these trousers for I've noticed for a long time there are several patterns of fakes on the market,some for quite a while.
          I like to have one once but all I've seen is crap or worn with holes etc.
          Stories there are plenty about these,found here,found there....
          I once had a decent one but it didn't fit one of my mannequins,so I sold it....
          I like to know the fakes,I know a few myself.....and I like to know the good ones witout any doubt.
          What are the best fakes ever made etc...
          Do you think it makes sence to start such thread ?

Jos.

Comment

Hi guys,

Willi, you are catching up with me Jos, thanks for reminding me that I need glasses, now I can see again....

I put the image icon on my desktop, renamed it, and then it opened fine. Nice photo! Have seen several splinter field jackets that were period altered to waist length and tapered in the back so that they fit more like Panzer wrappers. Very cool look! Also, period photos show jackets like this (wrapper fit) made from Italian camo.

Jos, the five pocket trousers are faked well, and now from nice heavy material. I agree with Willi that most real ones have the steel buckles, but there are real pairs out there with aluminum buckles and white waist linings. I have an unissued pair of Luft. tropical shorts brought back by a New Zealand veteran that has an aluminum buckle at the waist. This would be a good thread Jos, but some details I may mail to you and not post on it. Again, don't want to educate the fakers...

Best,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hey Guys,
              I'm moving my question to the uniform section as there are more people reading this IMO.
              Hope to find you there !

Jos.

Comment

Ok Jos, now I got you......

Yes, we could do a thread on Luft trop trousers. But as John said, it would sure improve the repros. Yes, I do prefer nice steel buckles and off white or tan linings. And yes, I do believe some real ones had aluminum fittings. BUT, I like to see other features that appear to be correct: buttons, stampings, linings. The ones that have been dumped on the market for the last 20 years I believe are bad are those ones with the stampings on the pocket linings, those wacky dark brown buttons on the cuffs, many have mildew stains, they have that brighter white lining, they are always midget size and they have that orange yellow tinted color. But, there are many more more dangerous repros now on the market.........thanks to the Czechs......

Just looked at my trop shorts, they too have aluminum fittings..prefer them on the shorts.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hey Guys,
                  You don't have to reveale any secrets.
                  I think we've to go in the details,thread,sewing etc.
                  Just the things that can't be easily done these days.
                  Deep digging IMO.
                  Talking about deep digging,here's something for you !

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...threadid=11058

Jos.

Comment

Cut down tunics

Does anyone have any info in those tan/tropical tunics that can be seen on Fallschirmjager after the invasion of crete. They are cropped to waist height and have two chest patch pockets. Are they captured stock/ or field made items. There is a very good picture of a Fallschirmjager platoon in formation wearing this tunic with normal jump trousers(I think its in the Kurtz book) If i could work out how to post pics on this forum I would.

Also I think I have found a couple of pics of the use of Shoulder pads that are mentioned in the 'Soldat' book. The pictures appear to be taken during a combat training exercise. I will try and post them as soon as I can work out how its done.

Cheers

Paul M

Comment

can't see the photo

Hallo!
                      Can you send me the photo,i can't see it!!
                      Thanks!!

P.S.
                      Curious:I am from Rome!

Comment

This photo is from a Book....

You can see it not long....

http://de.geocities.com/tigertommy_de/
                        Last edited by Tommy; 09-19-2002, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Tommy,

Is that a cut-down smock or a cut-down Luftwaffe field blouse?
                          Last edited by JamesM; 09-18-2002, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hi Luca,

I ususally can not see Willi's images either. I think he is doing this on purpose

If you drag the icon for the image to your computer desk top, then add .jpg to the end of Willi's image name, the image should now open for you. At least it does on my computer.

Best,
                            John
                            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi john,

Yes, it is a matter of "operations security" that I post pictures for all but you to view....... I guess Luca just got caught up in it. Seriously though, I do not know what I can say if the pics can't be viewed...

Yes, the smock is a cut down FJ smock. You can see the upper pockets. Trust me, this vet has the sharpest memory of any vet I have ever met. He even remembers the names of his Italian girlfriends and the town in which they were from..... . Am going to attend the 60th reunion of Monte Cassio in 2004 and hope to bring him along.

Willi
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X