Today is May 20th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is May 20th

And so we should take a moment to remember all those involved in the fight for Crete which began on this day in 1941.

Intended to post a shot of a smock and helmet representing the battle for Crete but work prevented it, so intend to shoot and post one here next week.

Regards,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Here's to all of those who fought and died on Crete. May they continue to rest in peace.

Gerry

Comment

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them.

Comment

"Kamerad, da gibt es kein zurück"...

May they rest in peace!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Yes - RIP - a day that changed the way airborne operations are perceived, in many ways.

My interest in collecting this era was started after reading the Eye Witnessed book, Crete, 1941 - so it has been the catalyst of my collecting for some time.

Comment

Of interest, the campaign in Crete for the Fallschirmjager who came across some fierce resistance fighters.
            Here is a father and his two sons supposedly using any German captured equipment, remembering they had nothing but primitive museum pieces to fight with from the beginning.

One of my favourite all time pics.

Lest we forget.

cheers
            NCO
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NCO; 05-20-2016, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Good call John, my grandfather was a Bren gunner with the 27th (NZ) M.G battalion.

The 27th positions where so well Camoflagued that the FJ jumped literally jumped
              right on top of them, suffering appalling casualties as a result.

He was the one that originally spurred my interest in collecting.

Comment

That guy on the left looks a bit like Brad Pitt with a tache!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun Winkler View Post
                  Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning. We will remember them.
                  Attached Files

Comment

In memoriam...
                    Attached Files

Comment

All that commitment and faith and love for their countries leading to so many gravestones, hatred and destruction all around the world- if all the fallen of these unneccesary two world wars would have lead a normal life with a job and family- what living standard would we all have? History would be a bit more boring.... but that´s a price gladly to pay by all students...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X