Clear All

FG 42 bayonet good ???

Greetings guys,
    any opinion welcome
    Thank you
    G
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=860239

Hi Gustav,
    I'm afraid I can't comment on the originality of bayo itself, but that Haenel (fxo) marking looks very poorly applied and isn't the kind of quality marking I would expect to see!
    I hope you get a definitive answer soon
    Patrick

Comment

IMO. Not original !

Comment

Thank you guys !!!

Comment

Thats not an original FG bajo !

Comment

Looks lika a late type MAS 36 bajonet.

Comment

Hi,

hmmm not sure that this is a MAS 36 bayonet...

http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/baio%20MAS%2036.html

See You

Vince

Comment

Hi,

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Ide...1945.html#fg42

Rod bayonet for use with the 8 mm. Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 (Paratroop Rifle 1942) assault rifle. It is believed that 7,000 FG 42 rifles were produced before production ceased in early 1945.
                Three different FG 42 rod bayonets were used.

The first is believed to be a shortened French M1936 bayonet.
                This was followed by two German-made variants.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Ide...2/B1392-1.html
                This example is of the second German-made variant, which is slightly shorter than the first two types and lacks the knurled grip section.

The dimpled metal end cap is missing on this example, although the four staking marks are visible. No scabbard was issued. When not in use, the bayonet was reversed to stow between the bipod mount and forestock.

I was able to compare my example with another bayonet that was still paired with its Heinrich Krieghoff-manufactured rifle (in Canada). Both bayonets were identically marked, with "2" on one rocker and three illegible letters on the other. It was good fortune that my bayonet had the upper half of the marking and the other bayonet the lower half.

Superimposing images of the two revealed that the letters were "gcy". The letters are tiny, unreadable to the unaided eye. The flat upon which the marking is stamped measures only 5 mm. wide by 3.5 mm. high. The close-up image at left was taken through a 20x stereo microscope. The pink shape in this superimposed image of the partial maker markings illustrates the actual size of the flat on which the marking is stamped.

The Letter Code "gcy" identifies the bayonet's maker as the firm of L. O. Dietrich in Altenburg, a peacetime maker of sewing machines. L. O. Dietrich produced M1898/05 bayonets during the First World War and machine guns during the Second World War. After the Second World War, the firm's property was seized by the East German State and the firm disappeared.

See You

Vince

Comment

I posted on your bayonet under the original "firearms" thread.

One other note, as I reread my post:
                  I made it sound like I had seen Fzs and Gcy marked bayonets.
                  The Fzs was a presumption, as manufacturer of the greater number of Fg42 - I have actually only seen Gcy marked G-Type bayonets.
                  Gcy produced only a short run of Fg42 rifles, but seems responsible for all of the bayonets I have seen.
                  Would love to hear thoughts on this from more educated collectors.

As Frenchvolunteer notes, there was a side note in one of the older FG publications that said Converted Mas36 bayonets were used in early Fg42 - my guess is the very first prototypes, perhaps - not production models.
                  The quality and pride in the Krieghoff line is too high.

By the Time the G-Type FG42 (the model that the bayonet in question fits) was in production they had made at least 2000 other FG42, and would certainly not still be using appropriated French rifle bayonets.

IMO - a faker who knew enough to scratch Fxo (Haenel) but not enough to understand it should have been Fzs, if he was trying for Krieghoff, but, besides, would have been wrong because it was actually Gcy (Dietrich) who made the bayonets not krieghoff.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X