Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DD Camo Para Helmet

Guys

Wonder why a person would put a "real" helmet worth about $10,000 on an auction w/out a reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...138281711&rd=1

I'm starting to become suspicious of this guy. He always seems to have high end camo helmets for sale. They all have that kind of glazed, buffed look to them...like the camo paint was artificially stressed. From my experience real camos don't look exactly like that.

Comment

Andy

I made that comment to a friend of mine not too long ago.

I have a few camo helmets and non of them have that look to them.

I am surprised the box it was shipped home in is not included.

Matt

Comment

This one statement in his auction ran me away from it: "3: The marking ET71 is NON FOOTED"

It almost appears to me like he is trying to make the point that this is correct. I thought the non-footed ones were the Czech reproductions.

Comment

No Jack, the 'footed' were the repros, but it was dicussed so much that the Czech guy's corrected the stamping and dropped the footed 1. Now the stamp is like the original.

Regards,
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

That makes more sense. Notice though how the photo showing the size stamping is conveniently blurred at the bottom of the numbers.

Comment

Hi guys,

Just looked at it. The shell appears authentic, but that's all. The liner, pads, straps all look reproduction. The repainting on the shell is ridiculous. And exactly Matt, if this helmet were authentic it would sell for a premium without the aid of ebay, so why would you sell it there without a reserve?

regards,
              John
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi,

sorry for jumping into this thread, but this would be an example of not worth buying?
                I myself don't like the way the sign on the right side of the helmet looks, looks selfapplied(selfpainted), someone please correct me if I am wrong, before I start to bid on the helmet?, or do you reckon it is worth the effort?
                thanks in advance,
                your's sincerly,

Alco de Groot

Gluck ab!

Comment

Wouldn't touch that helmet at all.........as most know, a real double decal camo FJ could sell with a phone call......and for at least $8000.

As John correctly mentioned, the liner, pads and straps are not good. In fact, it looks like the second run of Czech repros. The improved version. In fact, the shell looks odd to me......it could also be a Czech improved model. They still have a problem making the rear flange angle correct.

Alco, if I may say....you need to chill and be patient. Or you are going to make a costly mistake. We will all try to help, but as Eric mentioned earlier, lack of patience will bankrupt you in this hobby. If that helmet were correct it would bring an awful lot of $$$. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

hi Willi,

thank you for the advice, and yes you are right I need to create more patience, my friends bless and curse me for my enthousiasm:
                    when I practise my hobbies I always go all the way for it as if there is no tomorrow, foaming at the mouth by enthousiasm so to speak , and people really enjoy my efforts, I guess I do this because I only live once, and since my mother died 5 years ago I got really lively so to speak,and take each opportunity do get things done yet one way or another I have noticed that if one really eagerly longs for a certain item it comes to you one way or another, I've seen this with hard to find modelkits and a lot of other things, one get's drawn to it, yet today with internet that magic seems to get corrupted(by false repro's and all, I don't mind to buy a repro or something but refuse to pay a lot of money for a false fake helmet which is sold as genuine), I am confident I will find a good genuine FSJ helmet at a fleamarket(anyone got good adresses for fleamarkets in the neighbourhood of the Netherlands, or places in the Ardennes or Belgium?...sorry, being enthousiastic again)) or something like that.but you are right I must learn to temper my enthousiasm or some shabby dealer will abuse my goodwill and easybelief,
                    thanks, take care,
                    your's sincerly,

Alco

Gluck ab!

Comment

Alco,

In reference to the PM you sent me, there are several dealers in re-enactment gear here in the US who sell repro FJ helmets in the $300 range. One of the best companies is G-max. In Europe you have the Czech repros which are not marketed as repros and ask $1500 for them at the source.

On the flea market concept regarding finding a "real" FJ helmet.....good luck.......you and about 1000 others are looking worldwide! It is more likely to happen here in the US.....from veteran's estates. I was just out in the midwest........in Iowa for 4 days. I missed a FJ helmet that was sold at a very small antique shop by only a week. The owner told me he thought he was lucky to have gotten $90 for it!!!! I kept my mouth shut and gave him my card. I did buy a few Luft buckles and belts.

Willi
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

fj helmet in Iowa

Willi,
                        What the heck were you doing in Iowa for four days! I live here
                        and comb the antique shops everywhere, I would be happy to find just a common helmet let alone an FJ helmet!!!! This is no crap,
                        A fellow collector friend of mine found one in a Garage sale , in
                        a barn on a farm in the middle of no where, It has a small shrapnel hit in the back (but who cares) 75 dollars! I'll try to get a hold of It and post some pics.
                        Thanks!
                        Michael

Comment

DD FJ helmet

Kudos to you Willi, John et al. I agree with you all. There is nothing appealing about this helmet, not the paint, not the liner, not the decals, even the straps have that brown color. If I could get the helmet for $50. I could use it to put my cover over. Alco, don't touch that helmet.

Willi What the hell is our friend doing bidding on that helmet?
                          John

Comment

Hi Michael,

I too was wondering what I was doing out there.....

I went to Cedar Falls to a wedding and a family reunion. Hit all the shops in Waterloo, Cedar Falls and Dubuque. I bet you that there is some stuff out there on those farms. The key is trying to find it and get those farmers to part with it. I also bet that those small antique shops get some militaria, that they have no idea what it is, and it probably moves out the door fast. Saw some bad stuff too. Did meet a guy who says he comes across some camos once in a while.

Regards,

Willi
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

John,

Our friend has completely lost his mind!!! I do not know what else to say. He has become a ebay junkie and just can't tell good from bad anymore.......it gets even worse.....will share intell at the Max.

Willi
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X