Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baffled newbee asks......

ok, can't help to ask
    but I have seen that about 27 people watched my post and have not replied at all, which in a way makes me curious.
    I am a serious starting collector, everyone once started and was helped by others that is one of the reasons why this forum is raised if I am not mistaken, right?
    so , why do you not reply on my thread then?Am I not trusted because I am new or something?Is there some kind of test before one is accepted?
    I am disapointed all I asked was help and in rerturn I get nothing not even a word of sincere welcome. so a reply would be very much appreciated, staring collectors could get offended by these kind of denial, your'e the ones who could help me build a serious collection or am I to be delivered to the mercy of fake FSJ items and vendors whom sell way too expensive, still can't believe the prices I see on the web. I was offered today a complete genuine FSJ helmet for the price of 3500 Euro's(aprox 3500 dollars) is this too expensive or are these correct prices?
    hope to hear sometning from someone soon,
    your's sincerly

Alco de Groot

Hoi Alco!

I am also a almost new member of this fabulous Forum.

3500 EUR?

Have you any photo of this FJ helmet?

Comment

Alco,

First of all, welcome to the Fallschirmjager forum. We hope you will find participation in this forum to be both an enjoyable and educational experience. I, personally, am always glad to hear of another new paratrooper collector.

Secondly, I think you need to have a little patience and not read too much into not getting any response right away. You have to remember that there are around 1500 members of this forum, and thousands more read these threads every day. Perhaps the 27 people who read your thread just did not feel comfortable ( or
      qualified ) to respond to your specific questions.

Regarding your question above, we would really need to have more specific information regarding this helmet. EURO 3500 may be very expensive for some helmets and very reasonable for others. Paratrooper helmets can range from $400 ( relic condition shells ) to $15,000 + ( M37s, Army M38's ). Can you please describe exactly what type of helmet you are referring to, and please post some photos if possible.

Once again welcome to the forum, I am sure the people here will try to be as helpful as possible.

Eric Queen

Comment

thanks thanks thanks!!!

hi, thank you for your replies, yes I guess I am a little impatient but I have been trying so many times to expand my collection and hobby but it is getting very frustrating I almost had a complete repro uniform, but the person decided to sell it to a museum, even sold it before I could react, and much more of these horrible things have happened to me, so you hopefully understand I am very very frustrated at the moment.
        As for the pictures:
        the helmet for 3500 Euro is from Quartermaster NL, he just got the helmet and was vague in describing it, said the swastika was scratched away, the liner and inderwork was perfect and that it was a large sized helmet I will ask for pictures and post them soon .
        as for the 1300 helmet it is very rusty I do not know how to insert pictures in this thread, help?
        looking forward on more replies and more help, your's sincerly,

Alco

Gluck ab!

Comment

Alco,

If I can add one more thing I would say that impatience, especially in regards to collectiong this stuff, is never a good sign.
          Impatience will inevitably prove to be the cataylst to making poor decisions. Be patient. Start out slow.

Regarding the helmet, it is dificult to say without seeing it, but if we are talking about a SD M38 which has had the swastica scratched off the decal, in my opinion 3500 is too high. I would expect an M38 SD to be about 98% all around for this price. The rusted helmet you are referring to for 1300 to me would not be a good investment. I would certainly suggest spending more for a better example.

Take your time. The right helmet at the right price will come along.

EQ

Comment

yes, I had a feeling in my gut concerning these prices for the helmets too,
            it would better that I simply search and search and search and eventualy I will find one somewhere, not on the web though, I think the helmet would be more mentally valuable to me when I find it on a flea market so to speak, thanks for the advice it is very much appreciated and yes I must learn to be more patient with this or else it may result in unwished bankruptcy,
            your's sincerly,

Alco

Gluck ab!

Comment

Hallo,

Eric has given you good advice, especially regarding the prices of FJ helmets and their values. I know there are some people ready to pay very high prices for very ordinary stuff but $3500 is certainly a bit high for an ordinary SD M38 with the kind of damage you describe. And $1300 is really too much for a rusty example, which sounds like a near-relic. FJ helmets are expensive not because they are rare - they are not actually very rare when you think of the numbers of fallschirmjäger recruited between 1940 and 1945 - but because they are airborne-related. So wait until you find a really good example.

I think the helmet would be more mentally valuable to me when I find it on a flea market so to speak,
              Sometimes you can be lucky and find things like FJ helmets in small flea markets or local village junk sales. Or in farmers' houses. I know of three FJ helmets found in France like this. If you click on the following link, you will see two of them. fallschirmjäger helmets.. But do be very careful. I have seen the infamous Czech fakes for sale in local village antique sales and 'barn showrooms'.

If you look through this forum, you will find discussions about genuine and fake FJ helmets. You should also try to take every opportunity to physically examine genuine examples. Most serious collectors are happy to show new collectors what to look for and to help them learn about the subject. So are quite a few of the more serious and trustworthy dealers. After all, they want to encourage new clients! It is true that many dealers are dishonest but not all of them. If you send me a private message through this forum, I will happily recommend a couple of trustworthy dealers who often have FJ helmets and other FJ material.

Regards,

Prosper Keating
              Last edited by Prosper Keating; 09-04-2002, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Hi,

thanks Eric for the advice, could you help me out; if I find a helmet I might have an interest in I'd like to show it to the members of this forum and ask advice to you people, should I send you the picture so that you can put it on the site or how does this work for it seems I am not able to post pictures.
                Hi Prosper, also to you thanks for the advice , I tried to send you a private message last night but saw your box was full so to speak, I'll send you a new message to your other adres, thanks,
                take care,
                your's sincerly,

Alco de Groot

Gluck ab!

oops almost forgot, concerning books can anyone recomend certain "must have" titles and their ISBN numbers so that I can order them; I have seen some books on Ebay but I am not sure which ones I should or should not buy, because there are many many (luckily) books out there, thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi Alco,

Glad you are here. I spend most of my time in the paper/doc. forum. However, I could speak to the issue. Don't be offended that few people responded initially to your post. I think, sometimes, people want to make sure a new poster is "serious" before spending time responding to posts. Your persistence is the key, as you are demonstrating by "keeping at it."

Also, to post pictures you have to join the Assosiaction. $20.00, if I remember correctly. A good first investment for that collection-cash burning a hole in your pocket

Good luck...and be sure to share your aqcuisitions with us.

Rick

Comment

Hi Rick,

thanks for replying,
                    well I guess I am not entitled to blame non replying persons on my post and can't even blame them ;I reckon that in the past there could have been non sincere and none trustworthy collectors/persons spamming this forum.
                    but I hope people will believe me that I am a sincere staring colector of FSJ material and this forum seems to be a gift to collectors where serious collectors can share eachothers wisdom and expertise helping each other out concerning collecting.
                    as for the membership, how do I become a member then ,whom should I contact regarding this membership, for when I wish to buy a FSJ item I'd rather post the picture of the regarding item here and ask for advice before I buy something fake.
                    I am looking at your site as we speak and must most honestly say that I am impressed by the sheer size and quality of your collection! you must be a proud person indeed, I envy a lot off collectors' collections(from what I read on this forum's threads it seems some have very impressive collections indeed) here and hope that one day I will have a reasonable collection of FSJ items too, I guess time shall tell if I will be succesfull in my collecting hunt.
                    take care,
                    your's sincerly,

Alco de Groot

Gluck ab!

Comment

Hi Alco,

Here is the link regarding membership:
                      http://www.wehrmacht-association.com/

Yes, you are right about your comments on spammers.

Also, thank you for your kind comments on my website. My collection started with a single Black Wound Badge that I could not believe I spent the money on! Ha ha! Keep it up, be persistent, and you will most certainly have a nice collection in time. As far as FJ collectors go, you have found the right forum. I have had few questions that these guys could not answer.

Regards,

Rick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X