Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another newbee FSJ-addict....

dear reader,

I am Alco de Groot(30) from the Netherlands(Europe).
    I saw to my enjoyment there is a decent FSJ forum here, and have read a lot of posts, so I already won a lot of answers, most likely the questions in this mail are answered in other threads in this forum, but I still would like to introduce myself properly to you all.

I am as you all a collector of FSJ items, I have a lot of model kits , books and..that's it, I am missing out on the rest, esspecially the helmet. And yes I am reading a lot of source material, and have ordered more books and also do a lot of research on the web.

I also want to do WO II reenactment within a FSJ unit for a long time,and also am more than willing ofcourse to buy an outfit, I am also training to get in better shape and constitution for reenactment but I am stumbling upon tons of problems:
    I have talked with the head organisation of reenactment here in the netherlands.
    in The Netherlands there is no FSJ RE group, there is not even an Axis RE group.This creates the following problems:
    I do not know where to start, there are only allied RE groups here, and people do not want to know Axis based RE groups it seems. this means as long as there is no Axis RE goup in the netherlands I cannot join, I cannot purchase a weapon for the FSJ because I have to be a member of a RE group in order to get a permit to purchase a weapon.I also simply cannot seem to find the proper gear and uniform for a FSJ, I have seen a lot of vendors in the US, but I live in the Netherlands;where there were even a lot of FSJ stationed and also fought in the second world war!, so I don't understand where to get good quality reenactment unforms,gear,helmet, etc for a FSJ.I do not know how to proceed in the RE world so to speak, so you can understand I am at a loss;I have been trying and trying to find someting on the web but to no avail, an ex-reenactor gave me the tip to contact FSJ and RE-groups and ask you "how to and how not to?".
    could someone please help me with this problem, because I really sincerly wish to enter the world of reenactment, I have been doing liveroleplaying for over 10 years by now, but I am so bored with it, as a kid I already was fascinated by the FSJ, thanks to the plastic soldiers of Airfix, later I started to collect modelkits from FSJ(Dragon, Tamiya, verlinden, etc), I am also purchasing books, and always recording discovery channel programs to spot FSJ's, I am also visiting warmuseums(been to the Panzermuseum Munster in Germany last week, very impressive, and will do a ardennes tour next month) to have a look at FSJ's displayed..so you can understand FSJ's are a passion and a great hobby to me, as to you as well I reckon!

as for the real stuff I am (who isn't) in search of a original fallschirmjager helmet, searched the internet and got scared by the prices, what should one really pay for an average FSJ helmet and where can I find a decent and/or a very weathered and rusted one....I found one , yet it is rusted for 3/4 and the seller wants 1300 dollars for the helmet , is that a decent price or too expensive, I don't really like to buy a original on the web, I'd rather find it on a market in the ardennes so to speak if you can understand me, but that is not likely to happen I am affraid, so does anyone know of good trustworthy vendors or has links or adresses or whatsoever for me where I could get a decent original FSJ helmet?

maybe someone is out there who can help me with these manic collecting problems( I already got some contact in the RE world, 2 or 3 that is, but I am confident that the more fellowcollectors you know the better),
    your's sincerly,

Alco de Groot
    The Netherlands

Gluck Ab...

Alco, welcome to the forum. There are many knowledgeable collectors and even a reenactor or two on here that may be able to help you with your questions. First, reproduction Luftwaffe uniforms and jump smocks are readily available from www.lostbattalions.com. They are the best providers out there and at the best prices. They are in the US, but will ship internationally. Reproduction second pattern boots are available from www.smwholesale.com. They have good pieces, but can be slow to ship. They provided much of the gear worn in Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan. A helmet can be found through http://www.pacificcoast.net/~gmax/index.htm. Unfortunately, they have but one size shell (71), so unless you wear at least a 58, the shell will look rather big. Field gear can be found from most every dealer or reenactor supplier. Specialized field gear, such as the gas mask bag, can be bought at www.bayonetinc.com.

Original FJ helmets in good condition are very expensive. One of the better US dealers has two on hand right now and they are both in excess of $3600 USD. But, one thing about it, they are original and guaranteed for life. You will need to be careful if buying a FJ helmet. There are reproductions everywhere and unscrupulous sellers will take your money. If you can post photos of any helmet that you are considering buying, I am sure some of our more knowledgeable FJ collectors will be glad to offer an opinion on its originality and worth.

Good luck in reenacting. You may have to start your own unit if that is possible.

Comment

thank you for your reply,

I know the problems with repro's looking incredible genuine, I will post pictures of the helmets I might intend to buyas soon as I know how to post pictures, the problem also is that I do not know which vendors are trustworthy or not, I fear that there are a lot of traders out there who try to abuse customers who have good intentions, but I think time will tell.
      yes the Reenactment part is a problem indeed, will have to see how it develops in the coming years I am affraid, and I am not getting any younger in the meantime,
      I know the companies you mentioned, thanks though for your reply,
      take care
      your's sincerly,

Alco

Gluck ab!

Comment

drop me a line

Alco -

I have been working on a similar front - getting into FJ reenacting. Please drop me an email and maybe I can share some information with you that would be helpful!

Mike
        soldat@comcast.net
        If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Hello Arco
          Contact the fj reenactors in UK,they have a few guys that can help you local
          members@luftwaffe-hist.demon.co.uk
          regards
          Detlef

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X