• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German soldiers, captured by New Zealanders on the Cassino Front,

Interesting photo,

"German soldiers, captured by New Zealanders on the Cassino Front,
    receive meal at POW cage, 18 March 1944"

The New Zealand soldiers are armored battalion distinguished by the black berets (Sherman Tanks ?)

The Kiwis did not like German FJR especially NZ Sherman crews who had been shown no mercy when their tanks were knocked out and stuck in the town during the battle. The Sargent Major is probably there to make sure the Germans get fed and not done in.

Note the one button M43 caps being worn by the FJR POW's,

Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 90th Light; 10-18-2015, 07:28 AM.

We took & executed prisoners as often as other nations - not sure what you mean by us not liking these guys - though I am interested to hear about alleged warcrimes commited by my countrymen; kidneys ridge massacre or even the possible execution of the tiger crew captured at La Romola.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
      We took & executed prisoners as often as other nations - not sure what you mean by us not liking these guys - though I am interested to hear about alleged warcrimes commited by my countrymen; kidneys ridge massacre or even the possible execution of the tiger crew captured at La Romola.
      We do not a patch on the Russians, not even close.

The New Zealanders at "La Romola" were interviewed in an oral history documentary about that incident and their side of the story by Otago University,

Chris

Comment

Thanks for that Chris, can you point me in the direction to any source regarding the order given to execute those captured before the final assault on Kidneys Ridge at El Alamein?

Comment

Great pic, probably guys from one of these units.
          Attached Files

Comment

Certainly there must have been a modicum of begrudging respect for the defenders of Cassino for perhaps the most tenacious resistance of the entire war. At any rate, an interesting photo and a fine image of the stylishly designed Fliegerbluse.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X