Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember reading your thread before about your Dad

Comment

Very nice piece with some family history and value behind it! Glad you have it back where it belongs.

Comment

I really enjoyed reading this thread, it’s wonderful you were able to recover your dad’s helmet. In addition to the story of your father’s service that goes with the helmet now you’ll be able to add your own history of recovering it as well when the time comes to pass it along in the family. Hopefully the next person will appreciate it’s history as much as you do

Comment

Splendid and hope it stays in your family for generations to come...
          Happy New Year,
          Mats
          Last edited by mwl; 12-30-2014, 01:09 PM.

Comment

That is one Thing I never understood......german soldiers that emigrated to the US/Canada/South America or anywhere else, and the uniforms/helmets still in Family posession. You hardly find this here in Europe without Emigration, and how much rarer must this be when families went over the big seas. There were so many more important things to take with than the old battlefield gear that might have, rarely though, been brought home from the war?

Originally posted by naxos View Post
            Thanks! I know that now

As a kid I once traded my father's helmet for a regular WH helmet because I didn't like the shape. Traded it back later, played with it, left it laying around and forgot about it again. My father never cared about "that stuff". He had it hanging in the garage and when I took the helmet to play he never asked where it went. When, years later, I realized the importance of the helmet, I couldn't find it anymore.

There are other things that got lost, broken and thrown away - but I got the helmet again ... and, yes, it will stay in the family.

Thanks for your interest

Comment

Thank you guys, appreciate you're taking interest!

Happy new year!

Here is one of the cards my father sent home in Dec 1941
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bergler View Post
                That is one Thing I never understood......german soldiers that emigrated to the US/Canada/South America or anywhere else, and the uniforms/helmets still in Family posession. You hardly find this here in Europe without Emigration, and how much rarer must this be when families went over the big seas. There were so many more important things to take with than the old battlefield gear that might have, rarely though, been brought home from the war?
                You are jumping to incorrect conclusions.

I left Germany when I was well in my 20s in the 1980s, not my father.

My father came home on leave (Einsatzurlaub) in 1945 and surrendered to the French Army on April 9, 1945, while at home on leave. That is why all of his gear was at home.

The helmet was in Germany at my brother in-law's all this time. He, my brother in-law, found it again and surprised me with it.

I really don't want to talk too much about my private life on an open forum but I would like the record to be correct.
                Last edited by naxos; 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Hi, thank you for that Explanation....and I didn´t mean to push for Details about your private live. It just puzzeled me not for the first time. Very lucky to have some pieces from the familiy at home....

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                    You are jumping to incorrect conclusions.

I left Germany when I was well in my 20s in the 1980s, not my father.

My father came home on leave (Einsatzurlaub) in 1945 and surrendered to the French Army on April 9, 1945, while at home on leave. That is why all of his gear was at home.

The helmet was in Germany at my brother in-law's all this time. He, my brother in-law, found it again and surprised me with it.

I really don't want to talk too much about my private life on an open forum but I would like the record to be correct.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X