• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camo Para

Guys

This helmet is displayed in German Uniforms.com

http://daggers.infopop.net/2/OpenTop...5&m=9313066856

What do you guys think about this helmet.

The photo of the liner is not that good but the leather looks wrong to me.

I am trying to learn more about these para helmets

Hi Matt,

As you said, from the photos it's hard to tell. Could be totally straight. The helmet is 'over cleaned' inside and out. The eagle has that "liberated" look, and the paint appears polished, or coated, or waxed. The liner has probably been treated.

Best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Matt,
      If I'm right that helmet came from England. It should have a broken strap. If that is the case, I know its recent history, suffice to say it looked a bit different the last time i saw it !

Regards
      Steve

Comment

Always very tough to tell just looking at a photo. What I don't like based on the photo is:

The wear on the decal is greater than the damage to the camo paint. Camo paint wears very quickly during wartime use and would show more wear than the decal.

I always have a problem with decals that seem to be "masked" off..........or dug out.

The wear to much of the camo seems to be "chipped" instead of nice soft wear patterns.

Would have to see this in person to know for sure.

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Looka a nice honest decal to me........no problem with that one!
          Last edited by Dan T; 08-18-2002, 12:47 AM.

Comment

hello dan...

I think Willi has right ,the Helmet is not very good.
            The Eagle is masked on the helmet....The Camo is certainly new....

Comment

Hi Dan,

Was not saying that the decal is bad........the decal is certainly original. Was referring to the fact that it would appear that the decal was masked off before it was painted (the camo). The decal has nice wear, the camo paint job does not. The value/desireability is in the camo, not the decal..... you want to see consistant/similiar wear patterns on both if the camo were era done. But, as I mentioned, would have to hold that helmet in my hands to really be more precise. Suspicious is how I would conclude..

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

If the helmet was well used before the paint was applied the decal would have more wear then the paint then therefore the decal and paint would not have similar patterns so to speak. Just a thought, Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

Yes, that thought always crosses my mind........following that train of thought takes me further. If the eagle were that heavily worn, it would be less likely that the FJ would want to paint around the decal, and would more likely just paint the camo right over it. Anything is possible........but, the manner in which that helmet is camoed draws suspicion and the decal only adds to it. Suspicion just requires a closer look....without trying to convince yourself that all is ok.

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Dan,Matt etc..

Have held back commenting on this helmet until I was 100% sure. last night I spoke to the previous owner of this helmet. When he first acquired it it was already camouflaged but was just a shell, although it still had it's liner band and rubber dome pad in place. Intitially he thought the camo to be good, but after examining it carefully came to the conclusion it was not . Particularly he did not like the fact that the aluminium bolts still had paint on them.(normally this will not adhere and very quickly falls off ). He then sold it on to dealer. The next time he saw it it had had a replaced leather liner fitted, which was not a very good fit ( see photo ). He also told me that only one side of the broken chin strap was original and that he made up a replacement for the other side , prior to him selling it. The helmet has since gone through other dealers hands, before ending up in this collectors hands. The current owner is being less than truthfull stating he has owned it for some years !
                    So there you have it : Original shell and decal, questionable camo, original linerband and rubber spacers, semi-repro strap. He sold it for about £1000. Wonder how much the new owner paid?

Regards

Steve.

Comment

Very interesting Steve! Thank you. Decal does look good and the shell is correct.As for the camo,I've looked again and it does look original to me.Can't really fault it.Seems strange someone would ruin a perfectly good 100% decalled helmet with fake camo.It was already a valuable helmet.I have found that if the decal or camo is wrong,then the whole bloody lot is usually a post war make up! Sometimes nothing can be proved conclusively either way and opinions will differ.

Comment

Steve

Thanks fro the information.

I originally posted this thread because of my initial thoughts were the helmet just did not look right.

The leather just did not look like it fit right.

Then the comments on the camo, there are some pretty sharp experienced guys here.

Matt

Comment

Hi Dan,
                          I understand what you are saying, but this shell was very rusty and pitted, and the decal (although original) was very "washed-out". A good, fake camo-job can add quite a bit of extra value as well as making it easier to sell.
                          As for this helmet , the camo may possibly be real, but the decal has either been painted around to preserve it by the faker or "dug-out "by an idiot thinking he was adding value to an original.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Dan T
                            Very interesting Steve! Thank you. Decal does look good and the shell is correct.As for the camo,I've looked again and it does look original to me.Can't really fault it.Seems strange someone would ruin a perfectly good 100% decalled helmet with fake camo.It was already a valuable helmet.I have found that if the decal or camo is wrong,then the whole bloody lot is usually a post war make up! Sometimes nothing can be proved conclusively either way and opinions will differ.
                            I think it's quite obvious to anyone with experience of FJ helmets that this one is not as it should be. When you see a real camouflaged FJ helmet with its original liner and chinstrap in place, there is usually no need for any discussion. Basically, in this case, someone has restored a relic SD M38 and enhanced it with 'battlefield camouflage'. In general, German paras and other soldiers painting their helmets usually didn't bother trying to paint around decals. Anyway, they didn't have masking tape in those days. They'd have had to use grease or something similar if spray-painting. While opinions may differ, the helmet in question is a junker. Might be worth £500 as a filler.

PK

Comment

I see PK that you have and quote from the FJ Soldat which incorrectly states no period photos of Camo single decs exists and therefore all with the Eagles shown are suspicious.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X