I feel better and better !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am back

i have to tell you that i met the son of the vet ...
    he recognized his father on the portrait and he has also the same one in higher resolution (signed photo with information written on the back) !
    He recognized immediately the helmet because he played with it wen he was child

he gave me more informations and document about his father.

i came back home with also a pic of the vet showing him just after he was wounded ...
    we can see the vet wearing the BWB and a hole in his hairs (exactly where the helmet was impacted ).

Stay tuned, more to come

Comment

Killer helmet!

Camp Hearne is also about 1.5 Hours away from me; even closer for Don C.!

Comment

Originally posted by LOTHRINGEN View Post
        I am back

i have to tell you that i met the son of the vet ...
        he recognized his father on the portrait and he has also the same one in higher resolution (signed photo with information written on the back) !
        He recognized immediately the helmet because he played with it wen he was child

he gave me more informations and document about his father.

i came back home with also a pic of the vet showing him just after he was wounded ...
        we can see the vet wearing the BWB and a hole in his hairs (exactly where the helmet was impacted ).

Stay tuned, more to come
        Just wonderful! Does not get any better! History!

And going way back to Steve's initial comment, not a glass of water, but a glass of Laphroaig!
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

You may be interested to know that there is a very interesting book written about Camp Hearn, combining historical sources and archaeology. I read it and learned a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Star-Stal.../dp/1585445452

Comment

bolt

Just found this thread today. A fine helmet and I'm surprised no one has pointed out the holes on the spanner bolt being in the same 10 o'clock/ 4 o'clock positions as in the photo. I had a GI friend who was able to keep his damaged helmet with s shrapnel hole in the back from just as he was bending over to fix his boot. Later he was severely wounded and almost had his leg amputated. Both lids are a brush with death fixed in time.

Comment

Wow. Great that you met and the son of the veteran.

Comment

My professor at Texas A&M, Arnold Kramer, wrote the "Nazi POWs in America" book; since "Don C." is a professor at TAMU, maybe he could confirm if Prof. Kramer still teaches there. Maybe he could provide some direction on potential sources to contact to see if any info is available about your FJ Soldaten?

I was assigned counsel at Mexia State School for a while, and some of the barracks are still standing at the Mexia facility.

IF I can help, don't hesitate to give me a shout/ PM; I'll see what I can dig-up.

Comment

Speechless Can't wait for the new info/pics you have on this....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X