UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fallschirmjäger drops in Greece / Crete query!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger drops in Greece / Crete query!

I am researching a family member who served in the 2/6 Battalion of the Australian 6th Division and he mentions in a letter home how he found it more difficult than he imagined, shooting at German paratroopers!

I am trying to narrow down the specific areas in which he saw combat....

Now to the question.

Were there any other Fallschirmjäger drops on mainland Greece other than during the capture of the Corinth Canal?

Cheers,

Last edited by Max Wünsche; 05-14-2013, 08:00 AM.

Corinth

Hi Max,

Corinth is the only drop on the mainland I know of. Elements of 2/6 Battalion were there.

Hope this is of some help.

George.

Comment

Hi George,

Thanks for your reply...

I have the 2/6 Battalion History book "Nothing Over Us" and I was aware that a portion of the 2/6 was sectioned off to assist in guard duty of the canal, although was not sure if there were any other Para drops used to cut off the retreating Commonwealth forces. Thankyou for clearing that up for me.

J.J.Wilson (the relative I am researching) has on his service records that he returned from service in Greece on 25.5.1941 to a port designated as 'ME' (or what looks like 'ME') on the records.... I assume this is a reference to Alexandria / Egypt.

The discrepancy is that there is a quite a few weeks from when they were evacuated from Greece to when the date above mentions he has returned from service in Greece....so I am assuming he was on Crete in between.

Originally posted by George Harper View Post
      Hi Max,

Corinth is the only drop on the mainland I know of. Elements of 2/6 Battalion were there.

Hope this is of some help.

George.

Comment

Hi Max,

The Fallschirm unit in Greece was a tesk force based around FJR2. I have the regimental history of FJR2 and there is no mention of any other jumps taking place on the mainland.

Your man does seem to have taken a long time to get to Egypt. Some troops did go to Egypt via Crete. I don't think he would have fought on Crete if he was in Egypt on May 25 unless he was wounded and lucky enough to be evacuated. I believe there were some individuals from 2/6 Battalion on Crete.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

George.

Comment

That is what I was thinking...

It seems more likely that he was referring to the Corinth Canal engagement ( Re: FJR2 ).. in his letter.

Unfortunately he succumbed to wounds and illness after fighting the Japanese in NG so I never had a chance to talk to him personally, let alone about his experiences during the war.

Thanks again George...

Cheers,

Christian...

Originally posted by George Harper View Post
          Hi Max,

The Fallschirm unit in Greece was a tesk force based around FJR2. I have the regimental history of FJR2 and there is no mention of any other jumps taking place on the mainland.

Your man does seem to have taken a long time to get to Egypt. Some troops did go to Egypt via Crete. I don't think he would have fought on Crete if he was in Egypt on May 25 unless he was wounded and lucky enough to be evacuated. I believe there were some individuals from 2/6 Battalion on Crete.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

George.

Comment

Incidentally, does anyone know of or can recommend any good accounts and/or video from the German perspective about the attack on the Corinth Canal...?

Comment

Still looking for any film or text regarding the attack on the Corinth Canal.

If anyone knows of any good books that have accounts of this in detail it would be
              very much appreciated.

Comment

Corinth

Gday
                Yes there is some footage on YouTube on korinth. I'll post the link soon.
                I also have some books that have personal accounts of the battle.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
                  Still looking for any film or text regarding the attack on the Corinth Canal.

If anyone knows of any good books that have accounts of this in detail it would be
                  very much appreciated.
                  Hi!

Heinz Austermann / "Von Eben Emael bis Edewechter Damm" (History of Fallschirmpioniere). Pages 47 - 50 tell the story of "Zug Häffner" (II. Zug of 3. Kompanie of Fallschirm-Pionier-Bataillon). They were the first ones to land with gliders at Korinth. Parts of FJR 2 were following 15 to 20 minutes later.

Karl-Heinz Golla / "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1936 - 1941" (Pages 328 - 353). Very detailed description!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

Originally posted by mikesmythe View Post
                    Gday
                    Yes there is some footage on YouTube on korinth. I'll post the link soon.
                    I also have some books that have personal accounts of the battle.

Mike
                    That would be great to see, thankyou.

I have looked on Youtube before although only found Crete operation film.

Best Regards,

Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by peterm View Post
                      Hi!

Heinz Austermann / "Von Eben Emael bis Edewechter Damm" (History of Fallschirmpioniere). Pages 47 - 50 tell the story of "Zug Häffner" (II. Zug of 3. Kompanie of Fallschirm-Pionier-Bataillon). They were the first ones to land with gliders at Korinth. Parts of FJR 2 were following 15 to 20 minutes later.

Karl-Heinz Golla / "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1936 - 1941" (Pages 328 - 353). Very detailed description!

Kind regards, Peter
                      Many thanks for that book reference Peter, it is very much appreciated.

I will have to look this one up.

Best Regards,

Christian.

Comment

Fj in korinth

Hi Christian

Im sorry for the delay.

Here is one section of a fim even thought brief alled soldiers captured what has to be korinth due to them wearing their greatcoats etc.

the clip is at 3.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTswFQBBnOE

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X