Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ ring

Hello,

What do you guys think of this ring? Supposedly found around Leningrad.

Thank you,

Scott Asperheim
    Duluth, MN.
    Attached Files

Hi Scott,

Could you provide a few more pics..of the sides and reverse. I have two rings that look like this and have a hollow back and sort of oakleafs to the either side of the FJ badge facing of the ring. Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I'll see if he'll send me some. He also has several other, supposedly, authentic rings that I'm interested in...not sure where to post those for opinions. One is a "SS Panzer Skull" ring the others are similiar.

Kind Regards,

Scott Asperheim
      Duluth, MN.

Comment

Scott,

A word of caution here! It is easy to age copies through various different techniques. The amount of dug rings makes me suspicious. I'm not saying whether they are original or not but soldiers wore their rings. I found a ring as well but it was with a body of a German Soldier and I duly reported it and turned the ring, the ID Tag (and location of the body/bones) over to the local Gendarmes in Echternach, Luxembourg. Now I'm also not accusing anyone of grave robbing but with that many rings I cannot not rule out the possibility..especially in the east. I just wanted to give you some food for thought before you pursue this purchase. Bill

Comment

Hello Bill,

Thank you very much for your words of advice and caution. I'm going to pm you some info.

Kind Regards,

Scott Asperheim
          Duluth, MN.

Comment

Yes, I would be real cautious about rings coming out of the east. For decades an original FJ ring has been exceptionally rare. Now they appear to be on the market every day.

Most FJ collectors only recognize two types of rings as being original. There are photos of both types in some of the FJ references.

The aging on the above ring just looks very artificial. And, the only ring I like of that style is made from silver and would show lots of wear........not aging like that.

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
              Yes, I would be real cautious about rings coming out of the east. For decades an original FJ ring has been exceptionally rare. Now they appear to be on the market every day.

Most FJ collectors only recognize two types of rings as being original. There are photos of both types in some of the FJ references.

The aging on the above ring just looks very artificial. And, the only ring I like of that style is made from silver and would show lots of wear........not aging like that.

Willi
              Here is one I bought at auction yesterday, I bought without viewing first and now I have had a close look at it I am rather suspicious. (I am very much a novice) I would be very interested to hear the views of others on this ring.

Kind regards,

Thomas.

Comment

I'm afraid I can't help you Thomas, but the one thing I can offer is I'd be leary of anything Fallschirm-panzer oriented....if indeed that's a Luft eagle on the side.

In regards to Scott's query, that looks like the work of good ole hydrochloric acid on a metal other than silver IMO
                If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

I am very suspicious of that ring...first of all it has a Army PAB on the front and yet Luftwaffe Eagles on the sides. The difference in detail between the PAB and the LW eagles is extreme....lacks of detail on the sides yet the PAB is much more detailed and without any wear...plus it's not likely that a ring like this would be produced with this kind of combination. Bill

Comment

to me it looks like it was a stick pin with the needle cut off and mounted to the ring.

greg

Comment

That is a fantasy ring.. After they burn enough collectors on it they just change the front design. You'll see them with GAB, IAB and this Pz. There are also versions with SS runes and sometimes a skull. They sometimes change up the side design with Heer eagles..Get your money back! , G.

Comment

I paid £70 + 15% buyers premium (about $150 in total) and initially thought I had made a very good purchase, but once home a quick inspection under an eye glass had me feeling a second opinion was required.
                        I will have a ride into town today and inform the auction house that in my opinion the ring is a forgery and see if I can claim a re-fund.

Thank you Gentlemen for your observations,

Thomas.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X