Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on a photo

Hi,

I have got this nice picture of an unknown DKG. He has the Kreta cufftitle and something else on his sleeve. Is he blind ?
    Thank you advance.

Jean-Yves

Hello Jean-Yves.
    Here is how I see it:
    the band being worn appears of black color, it could be a mourning band. But that band was usually worn higher up, about elbow hight. Of course it could have slipped down for lack of a fastener? Civilian blind persons used to wear a yellow band with three large black dots if my memory does not trick me but what was worn in the military escapes me. I noted his right foot seemingly wearing a whitish covering of sorts. Perhaps a wounded foot.
    Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

From his happy grin, not mourning very much!

There was an etiquette of "degrees" to such things (a long ago set of manners), and I believe placement of the armband indicated not only how close the late family member was, but how long into the official mourning period this was being worn.

At least in the Imperial period, I've seen more mourning bands worn in photos like this one-- below the elbow--than above it.

Comment

Hello Rick and Bernhardt,

Thank you for your deductions. At first, I didn't thought about that. It is probably the clue.

Jean-Yves

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X