Clear All

Helmet on Ebay

Willi .....guys

What do you think of this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2120520882

Matt

Hi Matt,

How have things been going?

On the helmet, it is hard to tell for sure..........the pictures are just too small and blurred. Areas of concern so far; the inside is a dog, yet the camo looks like it has no visible wear. I don't see a scratch anywhere..........nor do I see any rim wear. I would ask for more detailed photos and see how much rust is on the inside.......that would be a good indicator if someone took and a beat helmet and out a paint job on it.

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Another point that I find interesting ( which may not necessarily mean anything ) is the M40 liner/M38 chin straps combination. We have all seen M38 ( double decal ) helmets which have had the chin straps replaced at some point with the improved M40 version
      ( most paratrooper prefered the snap retention vs. the loop retention buckle straps ), but I can't recall ever seeing a M40
      ( single decal * you can tell by the black pads vs the yellow pads
      / LBAB marked liner of the M38 ) which has had the straps replaced with the older, obsolete M38 straps. It certainly could happen though and as I said it doesn't mean anything, just an obeservation.

If it is real around what period would you guys date the helmet?
      To me that type of very thick paint job is typical of very early in the war, primarily M38 helmets. If that's the case, and the spanner bolts have never been through the paint, it is interesting that it has the M40 liner. It could not have been changed after it was painted. Again, just an observation. Could be a number of things that account for it.

EQ

Comment

Hi Eric,

Yes, I too saw the early M38 chinstraps..only adds to the concern of the helmet being legit. I would honestly not make a stab at the vintage of the camo if it is real. Could just as well be late war. Looking at the photos once again, the quality of those photos on ebay usually indicates a problem being hidden. Someone selling a choice camo would be best served by posting real nice and clear photos...makes it suspicious. But, one never knows......

BTW, those photos are going out in the mail tomorrow.

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks Willi/Eric

Your right the photos leave a lot to be desired.

One of the things I noticed was the liner band has some bends and dents in it around the rim.
          Helmets I have handled that have not had the liner out do not show this type of damage or wear.

I may try to get some better photos and post them here.

Matt

Comment

Thanks Willi/Eric

Your right the photos leave a lot to be desired.

One of the things I noticed was the liner band has some bends and dents in it around the rim.
            Helmets I have handled that have not had the liner out do not show this type of damage or wear.

I may try to get some better photos and post them here.

Matt

Comment

I noticed that one too. Notice the way the leather part of the liner buckles in? That seems strange to me. I agree that the shell and liner don't seem to match, but it is impossible to tell from the poor pics. I've gotten some pretty nice things on Ebay that had crappy pics though

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X