tan/water camo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tan/water camo

Can someone tell me when the first tan/water smocks started to be worn ,and also how widespread was their issue. Were they only issued to the newest FJ divisions , or did the old sweats wear them as well . I notice that photos of them being worn are few in number, but most surviving smocks tend to be this type .
    Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I thought someone else might comment on your thread by now. Sorry I haven't earlier, have been very busy.

You are correct, few period photos of final pattern smocks being worn exist. One fine example is the photo of Fw. Priller on page 127 of Jean-Yves 'Green Devils'. The few period photo examples seems to indicate that tan/water's were not issued in large numbers. If fact, it's ironic that late war photos often show many Fj wearing green jump smocks among other troops with splinter smocks. These green smocks were issued from stored stocks to refitted units. Most of these green smocks were converted to snap/button up, but some were still step ins.

I believe Willi has, or has seen, a tan/water dated 43. I've only had them dated from the fall of 44 on. IMO there are so many unissued tan/water smocks because makers were producing them right up to the end of the war but they were not making it to the troops because shipping was pretty much shut down. I've seen many well worn tan/waters, but no way to know if they were period worn, or by US veterans hunting in them after the war. One of my splinters had bird shot and dove feathers in the lower pockets when I acquired it.

More on this later, must run.
    Best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John and Steve,

Yes, I have a mint '43 dated water pattern smock. And, as John has stated, most of the other ones I have seen are late '44 dated. Here is my take on them......... You see water patern commonly worn during the Ardennes Offensive. Many photos of FJs from the 5th FJD can be seen wearing them. I have seen several photos of members of Fallschirm Pionier Bataillon 5 wearing water patern beofre going ot he front. You also see '45 dated photos of the extremely late-war FJs wearing them. One of my mint ones came from a US veyteran who picked it up in a Luftwaffe depot in Italy in 1945. My opionion is that water paterrn smocks were to replace splinter smocks...they were made by the same manufacturers. They were probably introduced into the supply process in late '44 and made their way into newly established/rebuilt FJ formations.....as the supply of splinter smocks declined. As John correctly stated, converted green step-in smocks were issued throughtout the war. You do see a large number of newly issued converted green step-in smocks showing up in Holland in Sept of '44, after many new units were scrapped together after the 1st Fallschirm Armee was formed........to shore up the Western Front after the tremendous lossess to FJ units in Normandy. You can see that one picture of a FJ in Brest in Sept of '44 wearing a water pattern smock. One reason why you don't see many late-war photos of FJs wearing water smocks is the basic fact that those late-war months were not very good and few soldiers felt the desire to take photographs. For the same reason you see few pictures of K/G43s and the MP44 series of weapons.

My summary; water pattern smocks were to replace splinter smocks and as these were introduced into the supply system they became availbale to units in the field. Many more water pattern smocks can be found in mint condition than splinter smocks. GIs were finding these water smocks in the various depots and supply trains.

Willi
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Here is a tan/water field division 'smock' that was once in a friend's collection. It is made of heavy cotton twill with a subdued breast eagle.

Regards,
        John
        Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks guys,
          ....hey Willi, when will we see this helmet-cover/smock book you've been working on? If it was all in print I wouldn't have to keep asking you these questions !
          Seriously , thanks for the info. Personally I have what appears to be a very early ,well-worn tan/water smock with original camo eagle.Unfortunately the date has faded away. What makes me think it is early is 1. the material is thin, zelt-like,green background.
          2. the hanging tag is made of heavy splinter-cloth.
          3. the zipps are metal RiRi D.R.P.
          Is there any way of positively dating it ? As for photos, the best 2 published ones I know of ( apart from the one mentioned above) are: P 237 "History of the German steel helmet 1916-1945" by Baer, and P 93 "Fallshirmjager, les parachutistes allemends en France 1943-44" by Chazette. This later one has a very clear photo of an FJ at the surrender of St Malo on the4th of Aug 1944. Anyone know of better ones ?

Regards
          Steve

Comment

FJ at the surrender of St Malo on the 17th of Aug 1944

Hello

Some pictures of Oberst Andreas von Aulock (RK Nov. 6.1943 - EL Aug.18.1944), at the surrender of St Malo on the 17th of Aug 1944.

Saint Malo is my native city, and I'll post some pics of Fj smock (water pattern) and trousers etc. found some years ago by friends in the city.

Happy collecting!

Philippe

www.majorplm.com

Comment

Fantastic pictures, Philippe !

Comment

FJ at the surrender of St Malo on the 17th of Aug 1944

Hello SMP,

Those pictures come from a very good book:

"Festung St.-Malo" - by Hans Sahhers 2001.
                ISBN: 90-76396-10-8

Best regards,

Philippe

www.majorplm.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X