CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I buy a Tschech Repro FJ helmet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I buy a Tschech Repro FJ helmet...

...without paying the price of an original, and no more that maybe $250.00 (I know I'm cheap). I would like one that looks like an original that "has been there". I know this is a capital sin when collecting, but my pocket cannot afford a real one.
    Thanks for any pointers!

Rolf,

Don't you know that all FJ helmets are real? That these "Czech repros" are a myth? .....
    Seriously, I don't know a lot of people that admit selling Czech repros. You need a lot of convincing to explain to a seller he is not the owner of a piece of WWII elite headgear, but something that was produced somewhere in the last 10 years. I paid dearly for mine - higher than the price of a repro, but lower as an original. In the end it was a very good study object to see how they were produced, and what the differences with originals are.

Why do you specifically want a Czech repro? Why not a repro from a company that is known to reproduce the FJ helmet?

Frank.

Comment

Hey Frank!
      Thanks fopr the reply! The main reason I am after a Czech repro is because they are usually aged and look a little more convincing than At the Front's helmets etc. They just look a little better, and for wearing around on a dummy, they are perfect!

Comment

Hello:
        If you look at pictures of Czech repros the shape is not quite good, this have been shown in a specific thread at the forum. If you want the combat look you can do it by buying varnish, spread it with a brush an the while wet spread sawdust, finish with one of Testors or Tamiya german colors in spray-can and for the final touch use one of those 'RUST' finishes offered at craft stores and little drybrushing, the final product will please you, If you ingnore the fresh pain smell!!
        Federico

Originally posted by Rolf D.
        Hey Frank!
        Thanks fopr the reply! The main reason I am after a Czech repro is because they are usually aged and look a little more convincing than At the Front's helmets etc. They just look a little better, and for wearing around on a dummy, they are perfect!

Comment

Me,Another example for "capital sin" in this thread ~I will post a web-link to here,Please do not cut my head off.
          http://www.armiam.com/
          Sometimes, They offer Camo/wired "Czech repros" FJ M38 helmet , BUT~Sir,
          I don't recommend you to buy any FAKE helmet just for your main reason" looks like an origino" & "has been there" .Deposit your $250 every month,asking "BIG GUNS" help you in this forums, you'll got a GENUINE ONE after half years(Maybe not wait so long), Am I believe that one NO MORE NEED to "like an origino"&"has been there" ,This is my only 0.02cent opinion..

Please forgive my Terrible English

Regards

(edited my message for image add:Their works)
          http://www.armiam.com/gallery/Fj001.jpg
          Last edited by Katsumasa; 08-21-2004, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Fake helmets

Try G-Max, I have a lot of repro gear and thiers is among the best. A lot of puritans will say stick to buying the real stuff, but I prefer repro even though it is fairly expensive, I can wear it without worrying about damage and peace of mind that I know what I am getting. If you just want it for display then it suits that purpose perfectly too. As one of the earlier replies stated, get some German colours in model paint and age it. Find a bit of old chicken wire for that Normandy look. The possibilities are endless with repro, I change mine to suit the look I am after or change covers, including a 44 SS pea-pattern drawstring cover made up in late-war period style. At least with repro you know that the helmet was never worn when the guy was taking pot-shots at your Grandfather !!!

Comment

http://www.atthefront.com/ has excellent Repro FJ helmets

Comment

The Czech repros are never sold as repros. From the source they start at $1500. They are not marketed asd repros. You have to buy one from the companies listed, as they do sell them as repros in the $300 plus range.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hello,

I got my repro helmet from a guy with the Ebay nick of "bbhonker". Great service, fast delivery.
                  He sells complete helmets for US$ 200,--. The shell is painted blue-grey and needs re-painting.
                  I sand-blasted my shell and did the paintjob I wanted on it.
                  The liner and chinstrap you can sell on Ebay and get a Don Calder-made to replace them. That way you get a decent repro helmet at resonable cost.

If you need the contact email adresses, PM me.

best regards,
                  Volker

Comment

I'm told Gmax sells the Czechs, & that while not perfect they are supposed to be the best so far.

I never understand why somewone would go to the trouble of making a good copy & getting the shape, etc., wrong. Seems like it wold be easier to simply copy an original directly & not deviate from the pattern.

Why would that cost more than making a not-quite-right copy, unless it's a question of material cost or inability to duplicate original materials.

Comment

I will have some pics in an email of a repo FJ -
                      can someone post them for me?

It's a size 60, shell marked 71 but priced much less than a Czecho.

PS: How can the Czech wholesaler/maker get $1200
                      for them when retail is about $350-$400?
                      Last edited by Frentebro; 02-17-2005, 08:25 AM.

Comment

PM me and I'll host the photos for you

Originally posted by Frentebro
                        I will have some pics in an email of a repo FJ -
                        can someone post them for me?

It's a size 60, shell marked 71 but priced much less than a Czecho.

PS: How can the Czech wholesaler/maker get $1200
                        for them when retail is about $350-$400?
                        If only I could be half the man my dog thinks I am

Comment

Rolf,

There is a fellow in the UK selling customized repros - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...512562101&rd=1

I suspect these are the Hong Kong copies. He mentions that he gets them from this side of the pond, & since he uses the same pix, I believe he is marketing them for a fellow in downstate NY who is also a regular on Ebay. He will tailor the helmet to your exact tastes, whether or not it is an accurate representation of anything historical. I think I understand both sides of the discussion about genuine vs. repro, but this is just an answer to your inquiry, not an opinion or a judgement. & best of all, it comes in right around your target price.

Best of luck,
                          Matt

Comment

Many companies sell repro helmets as repros. They are not being made in the Czech Republic. Those are in a completely different category. The Czech ones are not being marketed as repro, as the ones listed on numerous sites are. Those go for $350 or so. Chinese copies, not intended to fool anyone. The Czech repros are fakes that are being misrepresented as original. We are talking apples and oranges here. Same goes for a number of other products that are being made for re-enactors. They are not the same as itmes which are being made to fool collectors. Pricing at the source is determined by the intent they are being made/marketed for.
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks, men. Ardennes, i will PM you when i get the pics.

Does anyone know if the ChiCom shells are marked? The helm i'm referring to is in the price range of the ChiCom but is a larger size, better liner, etc. so i don't know where it comes from...i don't know of any inexpensive copies other than the ChiCom.

The IMA site has good inside & out pics of the ChiCom.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X