Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positions of German divisions - Eastern Holland, Fall 1944

Dear all,

I am trying to verify some intelligence that was sent from behind enemy linies in the province of Overijssel (in eastern) Holland during October/November 1944.

According to a Jedburgh team, there were 8.000 - 10.000 Germans parachute troops stationed at Enter [a place in Twente, in the Overijssel province] at the end of October 1944.

In addition, at the end of October 1944, there was a German parachute division stationed at the river IJssel. There were 60.000 German troops available at that time for defending the positions at the IJssel, according to this team.

In november 1944, 60.000 Germans troops arrived in Twente en Achterhoek (in eastern Holland), based on this Jedburgh intelligence.

Can anyone here shed some light on the reliability of this data?

Thanks and regards.

In October/early November the 3rd Fallschirmjäger was positioned near Twente for rebuilding purposes.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Can you confirm this with literature? I need to process this in a footnote for my manuscript.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
        Dear all,

I am trying to verify some intelligence that was sent from behind enemy linies in the province of Overijssel (in eastern) Holland during October/November 1944.

According to a Jedburgh team, there were 8.000 - 10.000 Germans parachute troops stationed at Enter [a place in Twente, in the Overijssel province] at the end of October 1944.

Hello Dudley,

In the period of time you are talking about there were 4 Fallschirmjäger-Divisions that were reformed in Holland. First the 2nd Fallschirmjäger-Division, this Division was reformed in the area of Amersfoort. Then there was the 3rd Fallschirmjäger-Division, this Division was reformed in the area of Oldenzaal, close to Enter. Then there was the 5th Fallschirmjäger-Division, which was reformed in the area of Den Haag - Amsterdam. At last there was the 6th Fallschirmjäger-Division which was reformed in Meppel.
        Beside that, in the period of time we are talking about, there were several Fallschirmjäger-Bataillons that were sent to Germany to reform. These Bataillons also marched through the Achterhoek and Twente.

According to these facts it is most likely that these Fallschirmjäger that were stationed in Enter came from the 3rd Fallschirmjäger-Division.

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
        In addition, at the end of October 1944, there was a German parachute division stationed at the river IJssel. There were 60.000 German troops available at that time for defending the positions at the IJssel, according to this team.

In november 1944, 60.000 Germans troops arrived in Twente en Achterhoek (in eastern Holland), based on this Jedburgh intelligence.

Can anyone here shed some light on the reliability of this data?

In late November 1944 the 6th Fallschirmjäger-Division was stationed along the Waal river. According to the KTB's of the 88. A.K. the 6th Fallschirmjäger-Division was also responsible for the control of the area behind the frontline which stretched out over the Veluwe until the IJssel. So it is very likely that the Fallschirmjäger unit mentioned, is the 6th Fallschirmjäger-Division.

I hope this helps a bit!

Comment

Thank much Dennis! May I ask what your sources are? I need a good/reliable reference in order to use this information for my manscript.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X