Osang Para Badge Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Osang Para Badge Opinions

Hi Guys, I was told years ago that this badge is a fake. I thought I would show it to you guys just to be sure. Thanks for all your help. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

John
    Attached Files

dont like catch hook, but maybe I am wrong, wait for more opinions

Comment

Here is a better pic of the top of the badge
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi John, I think better photos are required for a definitive answer, especially close ups from different angles of the hinge, catch, makers mark and the eagle.
        Cheers - Greg

Comment

Here are a few more pics. I hope this helps. I know very little about these badges. I know there are very good fakes out there. Thanks for all your help.
          John
          Attached Files

Comment

more pics
            Attached Files

Comment

John, there are a number of concerns for me with this badge. The catch plate looks wrong. It has some characteristics of the various Osangs, the reverse hardware looks like a Type D as it appears to be an integral part of the reverse die. However the finish of the eagle and wreath is strange. I think the detailing to the eagle is slightly off, I think it could be one of the 'better' fakes showing up recently. I would await more opinions from the experts though.
              Greg

Comment

Hi greg, Thanks for your comments. I got the badge in 1991 here in NC. Not saying its not fake, just not a recent fake.
                Thanks,
                John

Comment

I think this badge has potentional. The die flaws are present in the adler as are the correct bevelling inside the wreath on the oak leak side. The catch although a little weird on this one. The catches on the type 'D' were hand filed. Better pics would be better. I think it is possable it is a good example. I'd run it by Thomas Durante for his option.

Comment

Hi guys,

This is a fake IMO. In my opinion, it is a decent casting of an original, so that is why it picks up alot of the details seen on original Osang badges. But the reverse hardware is a big give away, as has already been mentioned. Especially the hinge, which looks to be a postwar S&L type hinge. The rivers are also not like original osangs. And the reverse edge filing is made to look like original Osangs, but not quite right (its too soft).

John, can you provide some dimensions of this badge (height and width of wreath)?

Thanks

Tom
                    If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                    [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                    Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Thomas,
                      Thanks for looking.

2'' In height
                      1.5'' in width

Regards,

John

Comment

Hi John,

We would need more accurate dimensions than that, taken with a caliper because fakes are usually within 2 to 3 millimeters of originals. However, based on your dimensions:

Height = 2 inches = 51 mm
                        Width = 1.5 inches = 38 mm

This is still a good bit smaller than original Osangs, and if it is accurate, would be another sure sign that your badge is indeed a fake.

Tom
                        If it doesn't have a hinge and catch, I'm not interested......well, maybe a little

New Book - The German Close Combat Clasp of World War II
                        [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        Available Now - tmdurante@gmail.com

Comment

I stand corrected once again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X