No announcement yet.

M 38 helmet painted black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is nice to read some opinions that reach the mine. This helmet has no interest and deserves nothing more than to be in pieces.
    Obviously if the helmet had been perfect, I would not have removed.
    My opinion is that the helmet has been repainted after 45 by someone who was reused as a motorcycle helmet. It's not the first time I see a helmet like this one. He had already been removed earlier, he also lacked a nut on each set of screws.

Comment

Originally posted by pieand View Post
      This helmet has no interest and deserves nothing more than to be in pieces. Obviously if the helmet had been perfect, I would not have removed. My opinion is that the helmet has been repainted after 45 by someone who was reused as a motorcycle helmet. It's not the first time I see a helmet like this one. He had already been removed earlier, he also lacked a nut on each set of screws.
      Sure, you have a right to that opinion. All the same, regardless of the originality discussion, taking apart an even less than perfect helmet definetely impacts the economical value (and potential revenue you would be making on it) in a negative way.
      Regardless of the potential historical value being possibly destroyed, one can hardly argue against the fact that a major financial loss was irrevocably incurred by taking it apart. I'm only assuming this fact would evoke an interest for most people in your situation. Either way, there are no winners in this case. That helmet "deserved" a better fate. Sad.

Comment

If you were going to take it apart, then why not carefully try some of the restoration tips on removing that post-war finish altogether. Since the original would have been baked on for curing you might have had a winner.

Not my helmet, not my say and just my opinion but I bet there's a great finish still underneath the biker approach to German stuff. Now however it's in pieces. So no point splitting hairs.

Comment

Mis post
          Last edited by busterz111; 08-12-2012, 01:07 AM.

Comment

That was a pretty foolish move pieand.

Comment

I think its no period color. Someone painted the deathhead + a white strip around the helmet, running from the deathheads left to the right, straight around the helmet.
              I dont think its discern of a rubber band but more likely the black color affected the area were the white strip was painted.

Just like this MP helmet but only with a deathhead.

Jens
              Attached Files

Comment

Iam also curious what you think about that light green color that blends through the black paint. Given it is a late war helmet, shouldnt the color be a slate grey ton instead of what looks to be early apple green ?

Also is that a US size marking "39" done by hand over the German 59 marking ?

Jens

Comment

Jens, I think that green you see on the outer shell is another layer of postwar applied paint. The original color, IMO, is on the inside. Most late helmets I have seen with the gripper style of chinstrap were in green and not the slate gray. The slate gray ones appear to have had an interesting bolt configuration but had the normal M40 style of chinstrap.

Personally I think the entire helmet had limited collector value and I see no harm in taking it apart, as it was ruined by what apears to be multiple layers of paint. Who knows if it had already been apart. They come apart rather easily and while I would never recommend doing that to a collectible choice helmet, this one is different.

Would someone have purchased it intact??
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

It is also my opinion. For me, the debate is closed for a long time.
                    I do not understand some who still insist on repeating the same thing.
                    I proposed full and no one wanted.
                    Two reasons forced me to put in pieces, the first is that collectors will be more happy that way with some parts they are looking for (I have a lot demand for the chin straps, the leather liner, the rubber top pad and aluminium screws), and the second is that it will not fall into the hands of a crook who will tempted to turn it into a super wire camo for 8 to 10 thousands euros.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X