value please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

value please..

Can someone tell me the approximate value of a converted splinter over olive step-in smock ? It is in very good condition with bright camo, but the eagle is missing. Also, how would it compare( value-wise) with a double decal M38 in excellent condition.

Thanks

SP

Hi Steve,

As we discussed, missing eagles really hurt the value, at least to many collectors. Does the smock have a date? That is a factor as well. When you say converted I assume you mean it is now a button up/snap crotch? If the smock still had an eagle, and was still a step in, in excellent condition (no fading, snaps with no rust, zippers perfect, etc.. it would be an incredibly rare smock. Splinter step in smocks are more scarce than green step in smocks. Converted you as you describe with eagle I'd put at $10K or a bit more, so perhaps $8 to $9K without the eagle? This is rough because I tend to lag behind the curve as prices continue to climb.

Best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks John,

It is converted, as you say, to a button-up style, and is in very good condition. How do you rate a DD m38 in comparison ?

regards,

Steve

P.S. don't think it has a clear date, just a size and makers mark.

Comment

Hi again Steve,

It's dated. It may appear to be part of the size or perhaps it's faint. If the colors aren't faded then the date shouldn't be "washed" out.

Tell me aboout the M-38 DD. What's the condition? I'd rather have a straight M-38 DD than a converted smock with a missing or replaced eagle any day, so unless the M-38 has problems like most of a decal missing, I'd place the helmet more valuable than the smock.

Best,
        John
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

DD M38

......both decals 95 %, paint 95 %, liner near mint , but a small size 53/ET66 . See in Brana's helmet book.

Steve.

Comment

I'd place the helmet at least 2K over the smock, perhaps more.... With the removed eagle perhaps the smock is more at 6 to 8K. If the smock was still a step in with the original eagle it would be worth two minty M-38 DD's IMO!
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

splinter step in jump smocks

I'd like to know if anyone out there has or has seen splinter step in's, and if so how many? IMO there are very few known examples, perhaps a dozen.........Maybe another half dozen still in the woodwork....
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

splinter step-in

....saw the one on e-bay last year, mint ,staight of a vet's attic. The seller didn't know it's true value until someone offered him big money to pull the auction. It reputedly went for $15,000.
                Anyone here want to own up to that one ?

Steve.

Comment

Hey Steve,

Almost had that smock on ebay <sniff,sniff>. That was a keeper right out of the wordwork!!! I agree with John on the smock you are discussing. The missing eagle kills it to me too........not sure it would bring more than 6k...a tough sell. That original eagle, as we have discussed on other smocks, is a key when spending that much money. Converted step-ins are worth less than unconverted step-ins, as John mentioned. The M38 double decal with the right paint, liner and straps is by far the better choice. Shoot me an email one day and tell me anbout those smocks.

Regards,

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X