71st Anniversary of MERKUR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

71st Anniversary of MERKUR

We've done this pretty much every year so with today being the 71st anniversary of Operation MERKUR I thought it appropriate to post a couple of pics of some KRETA related pieces.

Remember the fallen from each country that fought during this battle.

Bob
    Attached Files

a.
    Attached Files

Comment

b.
      Attached Files

Comment

c.
        Attached Files

Comment

d.
          Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff Bob!

Thanks!

Comment

Kreta

Am in Crete at the moment, and made the three hour journey from where we are staying to go to the Soldatenfriedhof at Maleme, and then on to the CWG Cemetary at Souda.

A marked difference to the events last year, well certainly for yesterday there was...

No sign of any authoritive figures, and i missed any veterans that may have made the journey. However, i did talk to the daughter of Lt Wilhelm Proff, Helga.

She told me that her father was with Fjr3/III and was killed on the first day at Heraklion. She knew no more unfortunately, however, she said that her mother made sure that she remembered her father through the many photos she had of him at the time.

The memorial is still there, but, i couldn't get near it. The prescence of several dogs chained up on the steps and nearby convinced me to stay away.

My trip ends tomorrow, and i'll miss the events planned for later in the week. Maleme on the 25th, and Souda on the 28th.

Manny

Comment

Nice photos, and love the map. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Nice photos and great posts. I wonder what was going through the minds of the Fallschirmjager’s and what the atmosphere was like while aboard the planes in route knowing what large scale invasion they were about to take part in. My Great great Uncle also jumped on Crete, he was 5.Fallschirmjager Regiment 2 I believe at the time. My grandma’s brother says he has the tie that his Uncle had made after the jump to commemorate it. He isn’t sure where it is, I hope next time I go to Germany he knows where it is and I can see it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X