FJR1 Officer's Pistol - Colt 1903

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJR1 Officer's Pistol - Colt 1903

I picked this Colt 1903 and holster up about 15 years ago from an ordnance officer in the 88<SUP>th</SUP> Infantry Division (“Blue Devils”). He took it from a FJ officer in May of 1945 near the Po River. The 88<SUP>th</SUP> ID and the 1<SUP>st</SUP> FJD fought each other for the last year of the war. The ordnance officer told me he was fascinated by the fact that the FJ officer was carrying a Colt 1903, something generally issued to US General Officers. The holster is for a Beretta Model 34 and once the bottom was knocked out, fit the pistol rather well. Obviously, it is easy to tell they came back that way.<O</O
    <O</O
    I did some research on the 1903. The serial number and “A” in the diamond marking indicate it was a “Belgian Contract” pistol made in 1916 and was one of the 25,000 1903s provided to the Belgian military. The Belgian military apparently still issued these in 1940, but I am not sure that the 1940 campaign was the source. The ordnance officer indicated they FJ officer stated he brought it from home, so I wonder if it was a WWI pickup from a family member.<O</O
    <O</O
    Does anyone have an information on the FJ officer? Leutnant N. Braun of “I/FJR1”. Or any other information on the 1903?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Willi Z.; 05-19-2012, 09:59 AM.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Attached Files
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

A great peace of history from Italian front...love both Fj and blue devil's items...thanks for sharing Willy....

Alessio

Comment

Very intriguing. As Alessio pointed out this is a great and historically significant find.

I wish I could shed some light on the pistol and its former owner. I'll just have to sit back and admire it.

-Bryant

Comment

I remember discussing this, very interesting!!

Comment

Colt 1903

Great Colt Willi, thanks for sharing. This reminds me of a conversation I just had two days ago with one of my coworkers. He was a combat hardened infantry Captain in Vietnam from 1968-1972 and he was telling me how amazed he was with the weapons he and his men captured from the NVA and VC. He found everything from antiques like a 1906 Colt SAA pistol in 32 WCF to M16's when his unit was still caring M-14's... The first M16 he saw was one he took off a dead VC.

He is a great guy who has some real stories... I asked him how the NVA and VC were getting ammo for the rare stuff and he said "I don't know but they had and were shooting it at us..."

I guess during war a soldier who is bound for combat can get pretty resourceful when it comes to personal protection on the battlefield....

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Great Colt Willi, thanks for sharing. This reminds me of a conversation I just had two days ago with one of my coworkers. He was a combat hardened infantry Captain in Vietnam from 1968-1972 and he was telling me how amazed he was with the weapons he and his men captured from the NVA and VC. He found everything from antiques like a 1906 Colt SAA pistol in 32 WCF to M16's when his unit was still caring M-14's... The first M16 he saw was one he took off a dead VC.

He is a great guy who has some real stories... I asked him how the NVA and VC were getting ammo for the rare stuff and he said "I don't know but they had and were shooting it at us..."

I guess during war a soldier who is bound for combat can get pretty resourceful when it comes to personal protection on the battlefield....

Matt, super interesting infos from the Vietnam war....love these

thanks a lot

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X