Greunmeliert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greunmeliert

Here is a close up photo of two swatches of green material like green step in jump smocks were usually made from. Are both swatches authentic WW II Greunmeliert, or are they both reproductions, or is one authentic and one a reproduction?
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Honestly John, no one has been able to make this fabric. The German firm of Janke, who makes the best repros going, has been unable to make this fabric for the last 20 years....if they could they would and would make their green step-in smocks from it. On your posted fabric samples, could it not be from pre-war Polizei stock? I understand that their stuff was similiar to the standard 3-color Grünmeliert fabric.

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi, I've got a living room couch out of a fabric almost identical to this. Was shopping for a new sofa last year, and in the furnture store was this handsome model sofa in an unusual golden color. I looked at it closely and it was made from two yellow strands twisted with one red one. I asked the store manager what other colors the fabric came in, "hundreds", and one was pretty much greunmeliert. Naturally, that is the one I picked, handsome couch, I like green anyway. Of course the thread is part polyester, furniture makers aren't interested in WW II period fabrics. Fabric like this is no big deal; thread is made of twisted strands anyway, and it isn't that expensive to make one another color. All this is from the furniture store owner, whom I specifically asked about this. The couch was made here in NC. I can put a close up of it one too if anyone is interested in a new couch.

Regards,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yes John, would love to see pics of your new couch.....hope you don't spend too much time on it......

WZ
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi, I'm working so much it hardly gets used. However it's had a few good moments I thought this thread might have some interesting replies. Like the older jump smock eagle thread, it appears it's just you and I, with perhaps Gene observing. The answer to my greunmeliert question when I get home tonight, if I'm not on my couch
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yup, it is just us.......rather worrisome for the future.......

Am off on a trip for a week.......chat soon.......Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

die Antwort.....

Here's how the swatches were photographed.
              Attached Files
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John/Willi,

You're not the only two left; I'm here !
                The piece on the right is obviously real, but what about the un-cut eagle on the left ? I was offered a similar piece at last year's Beltring show.

Regards

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Glad you are with us! Was the eagle you were offered on greunmeliert, or an eagle of this design, or both? This is another common reproduction. This piece was given to me by another collector. I've seen these eagles on a dark green "greunmeliert" with the odd thread an off white instead of 'golden'.

Best,
                  John
                  Attached Files
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I believe this one that I posted above was a test. Note how the swaz. isn't finished properly and that the bird's feathers are "loose" as Willi says. This has been improved upon, and I've seen these on tropical, tan triangle backing.
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John,
                      The eagle is was offered was a white thread eagle on a "greunmeliert" type material. The size of the piece was similar to the one you have shown . What struck me as odd was that the material was folded at one end. Thinking about it ,it looked as if it had been cut from a hemmed jacket or shirt. Perhaps the forgers had cut-up an old police jacket and tried stitching an eagle to it as an experiment . I remember the colours were much brighter under the fold. I didn't buy it !

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the information Steve. Wise decision on your part. If you see more of these let us know; it'd be good to find out who is making them and where!

Regards,
                        John
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Reproduction jump smock

Here is the reproduction greunmeliert step in jump smock that was sent to me in the 1980's from Germany. The smock IS a reproduction as are the Leutnant rank on the sleeves. The snaps and zippers are post war manufactured and the interior markings are absurd. I think the breast eagle might have been authentic. I couldn't find my original film of this piece, and the image posted here is a digital copy of a Polariod I did manage to locate. Sorry for the poor quality. Care was taken in making this piece convincing; the snaps had been rusted and artificial wear had been applied. The proportions are not quite correct though, the legs are too short.

Best,
                          John
                          Attached Files
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hey Steve, yes glad you are still with us. John, that fabric is amazing!! Do you think is is newly made, or made from some other pre-war garment, such as Polizei uniforms?? That fabric is troublesome. The eagle is not very convincing....I am sure the back is even worse. I wonder why who ever is making these is not trimming them closely? John, do you have an extra eagle or piece of fabric you could shoot my way? Was that picutred smock made from exactly the same fabric?? John, you know, you are credited in that Japanese book, and the early French FJ book, as owning this smock. I always meant to ask you that, but knew Dr B. was using some of your pics without your permission. Steve, I can't make Beltring this year, but keep me in mind if you see another eagle like this........cheap..........

Willi
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi, Steve and others,

My opinion is that the fabric is new, but I could be wrong. The reproduction smock was on identical fabric, but appears somewhat different in the photo because the image is a copy of a poor quality Polariod. The fabric is very soft and well made. I have seen reproduction special rank on this material. The "wings" don't have the precise sewing and 'cut' authentic rank does. Often the folded edges are not glued, but sometimes they are.

The eagle isn't trimmed closely because this was a test, a sample. I think it came directly from one of the repro companies. As I mentioned, I've seen this eagle on a dark (like reed) green and "cream" thread blend, usually cut in a triangle. The eagle is the same design, but has been improved with better detail and embroidery.

Best,
                              John
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X