Unknown former paratrooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown former paratrooper

Need help with a bit of a mystery photo.
    Found it years ago (in some russian book if not mistaken), and again today on an old hard drive.

Who this man was I don't have a faintest idea. Could be that he is connected to eastern part of Europe but that is just something I recollect from this book I found this photo in. I'm pretty much sure it is not fake, and decorations don't seem to be added in "photoshop".

Well, I call upon wiser people than myself to make an educated guess.

Some serious qualifications.
    Thanks for posting.
    Pit.

Comment

hi
      i see this photo in a militaria magazine in french.The title, if i remember "studio photo à cracovie".the number of militaria magazine are 172,174,178,181.

Comment

My take on this:
        Obviously a combat vet, former paratrooper (Volksdeutsche from Poland perhaps?) and I guess war wounded and no longer fit for combat
        so he found a new career as an officer in the General Gouvernement Ost (Poland) BauDienst = construction service.
        (similar to RAD in Germany).
        His wound badge looks like an earlier Condor Legion version...(or WW1? surplus...)
        Its interesting that he did not bother to wear an EKII ribbon which he would have earned as a EKI recipient...nor any other medal bars...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
          My take on this:
          Obviously a combat vet, former paratrooper (Volksdeutsche from Poland perhaps?) and I guess war wounded and no longer fit for combat
          so he found a new career as an officer in the General Gouvernement Ost (Poland) BauDienst = construction service.
          His wound badge looks like an earlier Condor Legion version...(or WW1? surplus...)
          Its interesting that he did not bother to wear an EKII ribbon which he would have earned as a EKI recipient...nor any other medal bars...
          Excellent study NickG!

His new career choice seems in line with what I understood that russian book stated (my russian is not fluent at all ). Plus, that wound badge also raised my attention as being a bit different to that "usual" WWII one. His cap eagle does seem to be of the political service type, and that colar and arm insignia seem to be of some sort of engineering type.

He does not seem to be that old, so still a young man, wounded (perhaps an amputee) not fit for airborne (or any frontline) service, he seeks his fortune with another service ending up on this mystery photograph for us to decypher.

Seems plausible to me.

Comment

Interesting photo. He doesn't have a WWII wound badge, nor a EKII ribbon. Yet he has a EKI. Odd.
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Yes, Willi it is what I found strange in the first place. Let us break this down one more time:

1. This man (seems) young enough to be under 30 years of age when this photo was taken. It would be hard for him to be a participant of the Great war. Wound badge is the one his father won 30 years before him so he is wearing it in rememberance of his father?

2. He is wearing a parachutist qualification badge (and not the Heer variant). Former paratrooper, wounded in a way that prevented him to serve in front line service?

3. He is wearing a EKI, but without a EKII ribbon. Maybe his regular, ribbon equiped uniform was at the cleaners?

4. By the look of his uniform insignia he is involved with another branch of Reich services, by all accounts some sort of eastern provinces based unit.

5. The photo itself does not appear to be fake or altered in some way. Yet it is so unusual that solving this mystery depends on some other material (a newspaper article in his hometown paper, testimony of former members of his unit, or service, etc). Having that in mind it seems like a long way is ahead of us.

Thanks to all participants for giving their perspective. Looking forward for new info.

Comment

Very unusual photo indeed, thank you for sharing!

Comment

My take on this:
                  I agree that the verwundenabzeichen looks to be from Spain. But why no Spanien Kreuz. The FJB looks like a mid-war Osang or Junkers. The EKI is definitely WKII, but where is the LGAB or EKII? There is a I chance this is a post-war photo IMO. He obviously fought in the Wehrmacht due to the EKI and VBS, so why would he wear a Polish uniform ?

Comment

The Eagle on his visor looks like diplomatic Korps or not...?

Comment

It is some sort of Reich's state service that he is involved with, and that eagle insignia is of state service type, and not just the diplomatic korps.

Comment

Baudienst im Generalgouvernement Rank Insignia

[IMG][/IMG]
                        My take on this:
                        Inspektor.Baudienst im Generalgouvernement Rank Insignia

http://www.germandaggers.com/Gallery/CT6W.php
                        Last edited by kidon; 11-06-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X