Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knee pad opinions.

I picked these knee pads up in a trade.
    I would love to put them to the experts here.

Do they look real or fake? - I looked through the threads on this forum and couldn't tell. The books I have on the Fallschirmjäger are not comprehensive enough.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Pit.

Comment

Hi Pit
      I´ve waited for some of the others to say what they think, but I quess they are doing the same, so I´ll go first.

Could you confirm the Rbnr are 0/0155/0015.

I think this set could be the key to understand if the White kneepads are repro or not, and I must say that it doesn´t look good for them, IMO are the fabric unkown to me as is the straps, and the sewing on the straps doesn´t look very robust either.

But of cause if these materials are used elsewhere, straps from googles etc.
      they could have a chance.
      Do any of you recognize these materials to be original period ?

Best Jan

Comment

Thanks Jan,

I found a great thread on this forum, and these pads looked similar in that certain parts were very close - but none were the exact same combination of elements.
        Even the loose 45 degree over stitch at the connection to the pad shows up on other pads.
        But the material in mine does not look as sturdy, the stitch thread is very thin.
        I was worried about the thin leather at the studs, but this is something that shows up in many of the pictures - They were made to be used once and disposed of.
        All the others pads pictured had an edge border to the elastic these do not.
        Horse hair stuffing, crunchy.

Also, red print ink? - I cannot read the number clearly but looks like:
        RBNr 6/0 50/0016
        *Even tried rephotographing it for this response, but the pics are worse than the one in the original post, lol.

They were part of a trade, and I am not heavily invested in them, so really just curious.
        I am a buyer not a seller, so they will stay in the collection regardless, lol.

Thanks for stepping up with an opinion - I thought I had offended someone and was rereading my post with concern.

Pit.
        Last edited by pitfighter; 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Hey Jan and Pit,

Was not waiting, was not on line on Easter, spending time with family instead.

These have several odd details, and are well beyond "my comfort zone," but would not condemn them, or bless them, without further knowledge.

Jan, the same applies to the piece in illustrated in photos you sent....

Regards,
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi Pit
            First please don´t be of any concern about posting pics and ask questions.
            If this is not what this forum is about, there´s not much left, other than praising each others stuff, and that would be sad.

So maybe these aren´t from the firm as the white pads anyway, but they are still of interest for determine if the white are originals, as they seem to have the same hardware. Pit Please see the thread "white kneepads reproductions?"

I must say that these looks to be reproductions pads to me, I´m just a little unsure why others haven´t jumped right in and said the same, they normally are pretty hard on pads they don´t recognize, but maybe they have hangovers from celebrating Easter

best Jan

Comment

My first impression is not good. Some of the construction details are missing and/ or are sloppy, and just the way they lay flat with no shape.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Ok thanks for your oppinion about the cover John

Best Jan

Comment

I have a pair of the 0/0155/0015, which are very similiar to the pair that started the thread and share identical hardware. I was lucky enough to get a number of original pairs of knee pads in to compare them with.

After examining the pairs that Jan and I put up, I do not believe these are original. The pair that started this thread also look like they are from the same "bad" family.

These pads have less padding in the tubes that make up the body of the pads, and no shape to the pad itself. I don't know the filler material, but on the 0/0155/0015 it feels lumpy and iregularly distributed when compared to a real pad. The elastic is also understrengthed, IMO, as well.

I don't this this pad is original, nor the 0/0155/0015 that I own.

regards, Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
                    I have a pair of the 0/0155/0015, which are very similiar to the pair that started the thread and share identical hardware. I was lucky enough to get a number of original pairs of knee pads in to compare them with.

After examining the pairs that Jan and I put up, I do not believe these are original. The pair that started this thread also look like they are from the same "bad" family.

These pads have less padding in the tubes that make up the body of the pads, and no shape to the pad itself. I don't know the filler material, but on the 0/0155/0015 it feels lumpy and iregularly distributed when compared to a real pad. The elastic is also understrengthed, IMO, as well.

I don't this this pad is original, nor the 0/0155/0015 that I own.

regards, Robert
                    Good intel Robert. Hands on is the best way to judge.
                    Last edited by John Hodgin; 04-10-2012, 08:45 AM.
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thank you, Gents - my first instinct was that they were too delicate.

But, as you know underwear manufacturers who would likely not be tooled for anything but delicate, made some of the originals, and I thought I should ask.

I will return once again to small-arms collecting - the FJ gear "road" is too bumpy for me, lol.

Thanks again,

Pit.

Comment

Hi Robert
                        Thanks for you analysis, and after I´ve seen Pits blue pads, I totally agree, I´ll eat my words and I´m just glad we finally got to the bottom of this.
                        Nice work
                        Sorry Pit
                        Best Jan

Comment

FYI - I am based in So-Cal - and will gladly bring the pads out to anyone interested in seeing them - I don't spend a lot of time in state, but PM me if you're in the neighborhood.

Pit.

Comment

Pit, I don't think collecting FJ gear is any more bumpy than any other segment of this hobby. In fact, I think most FJ items are more straight forward than most areas of collecting. Certainly more unique and specialized.

These knee pads took on a unique angle because of the earlier discussions on the white knee pads, which appear to be similiar. The funny thing about the white ones are that they are around in numbers, and I have encountered them for years now. While I was never fond of them, many questions remain in my mind about them.
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by pitfighter View Post
                              I will return once again to small-arms collecting - the FJ gear "road" is too bumpy for me, lol. Pit.
                              Pit - FJ items are more expensive across the board, which beget the fakers and therefore the risk. One bad move can hit your pocketbook harder. But there are plenty of pitfalls with small arms, too. I think it's just harder to "start over," when we've got expertise in an area already. This is why it's best to have as narrow a focus as possible, I think.

Best regards,

Jason

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X