Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award worn on Smock.

I came across the following photograph.
    I know the Luftwaffe cloth eagle was often worn, sewn to the camouflage jump smock (right breast), often/usually with a khaki edging.
    But, looking closely at the attached photo - it looks like some of the FJ paratroopers in the photograph are also wearing their fallschirmjaeger qualification jump badge attached to the camouflage smock (left side, lower).
    (FJ in center and second from right)

Was this normal, or done for the photograph?

Thoughts?

JJ

Those are members of 3./ Fallschirm Pionier Bataillon 5, photographed just before the Ardennes offensive. I think the FJ in the center is wearing a Erdkampfabzeichen, while the one on the right might be wearing a jump badge. I suspect these guys are involved in some sort of ceremony, where it was not unusual to see badges worn on the jump smock.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The men are from the 3. Kp. as Willi mentioned. So called gruppe "Masser".
      From the left to the right.
      unknown, unknown, Obgfr. Kaiser, Uffz. Masser, Obgfr. Herzig, Obgfr. Loggen, Gfr. Auer.

The badge on the right is hard to say, don't think its an Fallschirmjäger badge, there I see something like a wing pointing out to the left?
      Perhaps a radio operators badge? Not sure, not my "area" of speciallity.

Nick

Comment

Comment

(Quote): Was this normal, or done for the photograph?

I would say both reasons apply! This studio portrait photo was taken in France as reverse is marked CARTE POSTALE but not dated.
          Attached Files

Comment

I would also imagine that they'd start wearing awards on the smocks as they wore them as uniform (as with the helmet) long after they'd finished jumping out of planes.

Comment

I have seen a number of photos of smocks with badges for protraits and events, but I can't recall ever seeing a field photo. A smock is a very loose fitting garmet and they wore their Fliegerbluse underneath it (with awards) in the field.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X