Converted Splinter Step In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted Splinter Step In

Here is a very significant smock, from the collection of a friend, which exhibits an unusual conversion. No buttons added, still using the zipper and snaps. "Legs" removed and bottom corners rounded.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Eagle detail.
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Fly area and markings.
      Attached Files
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Wonderful smock, John. Lucky friend !

Never seen one like this before. This might be one of the very few field-converted smocks which are often mentioned, but never seen.

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
          Wonderful smock, John. Lucky friend !

Never seen one like this before. This might be one of the very few field-converted smocks which are often mentioned, but never seen.
          Thanks Steve, have told him he has a gem. Agree with your assessment, very rare smock IMHO.
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Super smock !

Comment

John

Yes Rare and very interested smock . Thanks for sharing.

David

Comment

John,

That is an interesting conversion; assuming that this conversion was made during the war, it seems to me that the owner/user more or less turned their jump smock into a LW ground combat jacket -- but with zippered front rather than buttons! Neat.

This is a pretty major modification to the garment - beyond adding flare cartridge loops or some small-ish pocket onto the sleeve or lower pocket exterior. I remember seeing a smock that had been cut off below the lower pockets (can't remember if I saw it on this forum, or if George Peterson showed it to me years ago...) This conversion, though, looks a bit more 'refined'.

When more of the vets were alive, I made a point to ask several of them if they had ever modified their smocks in some way (and I know that some of the other forum members have asked similar questions to the vets they know/knew). The answer I typically got went something like, "We normally didn't change or alter our stuff, but tended to keep it HdV (Herres dienst Vorschrift, or "as-issued") - some smart team of people designed that smock, so who was I to go tinkering around with it..." A few mentioned having (or seeing) extra pockets/loops as previously discussed, but they were in the minority. A few said they would've liked such additions, but never had the skills/time/materials/tools to do it. I'd be curious to hear what some of you may have heard from vets regarding this question.

I half wonder if the modification you've shared was actually completed during POW captivity? I could easily understand how an FJ POW would have a lot more time on their hands to make this mod (or have it done for him by someone else in the camp)... the pressure to keep things "HdV" would have laregely been absent too. Some former POWs have relayed that guys with sewing skills had thriving 'businesses' doing stuff like this (ie, repairing uniforms, making field caps from tattered Zeltbahnen, and so on)

Don C

Comment

Don - interesting feedback from the vets! Thanks for sharing.

J-

Comment

Originally posted by vmidon View Post

I half wonder if the modification you've shared was actually completed during POW captivity? I could easily understand how an FJ POW would have a lot more time on their hands to make this mod

Don C
                    Seriously doubt it Don. Large numbers of step in smocks were factory modified to button up in a standard, precise way. So, agree with Steve that this was a field modification prior to the standard factory modifications.

Purportedly period photos exist of smocks being worn on Crete in this exact configuration, naturally leading to the conclusion this field modification done on the island. Would love to see one of those photos!
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Its one month younger brother....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting smock!!

But, how do we know this was done before the factory converted smocks? Many green and splinter M38s and M40s were either never converted into open front configuartion or modified with pockets, and worn through out the war. This field modification could have been done in 1944. I know vets who were issued new M40 smocks in 1944, which had not been converted.
                        Last edited by Willi Zahn; 02-03-2012, 08:31 PM.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by PAO View Post
                          Its one month younger brother....
                          One month older than its youngest brother.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Yup! Willi thats right...

Comment

How's this for a field modified FJ smock?

004 by rjkg, on Flickr

005 by rjkg, on Flickr

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X