X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about jumpsmock eagle restoration

Hello Guys,

As you might know I've got 2 Sumpftarn smocks in my collection and I would
    like to restore them as correct as possible. One has a reproduction eagle on it
    and one has no eagle at all. I want to remove the fake eagle and give both
    smocks to a professional to sew on a green eagle on each smock as the camouflage
    eagles are just too expensive and difficult to find.

Now I have 3 questions:

* I've added some pictures to this thread of 2 eagles. Would these 2 be historically
    correct on a jumpsmock or not?

* Which color of thread would be the best? On my heavy Sumpftarn smock
    I've found traces of blue thread. On the lightweight one there are no remains of
    the original thread.

* Could someone send me some high-resolution pictures from eagles still
    attached to pieces of Sumpftarn smocks so I can give these to the professional
    who is going to restore them for me? If you don't want to post them here just
    send me a PM.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Floris

Hi Floris
    Here we go again

Of the 2 shown I would certainly go with the last one, although it´s very seldom seen on jump smocks(On the modified rollars print fabric)

But if you show your smocks to me(PM if you want) I can probably work out exactly which eagle goes with your smocks.

Best Jan

Comment

Originally posted by ZR1Jan View Post
      Hi Floris
      Here we go again

Of the 2 shown I would certainly go with the last one, although it´s very seldom seen on jump smocks(On the modified rollars print fabric)

But if you show your smocks to me(PM if you want) I can probably work out exactly which eagle goes with your smocks.

Best Jan
      PM sent Thanks Jan!

Comment

Originally posted by ZR1Jan View Post
        Here we go again

I guess I was smart to buy some of those eagles from you then.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Had I just waited a little longer to sell them, I think the price would have been different

Best Jan

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't use either of those eagles, Floris.

I would post your smocks and see what type people recommend for each. There should be a broad agreement from the collectors here. Remember - some smock manufacturers favoured different types of eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
              I wouldn't use either of those eagles, Floris.

I would post your smocks and see what type people recommend for each. There should be a broad agreement from the collectors here. Remember - some smock manufacturers favoured different types of eagles.
              Here you go:

The left one is a Fritz Habelt 0/0708/0001 and the right one is a 0/0274/0042 Brandenburg Kleiderfabrik GmbH Brandenburg.

Comment

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                Personally, I wouldn't use either of those eagles, Floris.

Steve, the problem is in finding the correct eagle. While green GM and splinter GM eagles can be found in enough quanity to sell a couple for restoration (I sold a few this past year), most smock eagles variations are just too rare to just sell for smock restoration.
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
                  Steve, the problem is in finding the correct eagle. While green GM and splinter GM eagles can be found in enough quanity to sell a couple for restoration (I sold a few this past year), most smock eagles variations are just too rare to just sell for smock restoration.
                  You are absolutely correct, Willi. I've collected smock eagles for years , and there are still a couple I haven't been able to find. Still - if the smocks are to be restored - it is worth doing it properly IMHO.

Floris - how can you say the splinter eagles are too dear ? Surely It's worth paying an extra $800, if you have already paid $7000 for a smock?
                  ( I don't know what you paid for yours - I am just using an example )

Steve

Comment

I think the one on the R would have a splinter eagle.

Comment

Hello Floris! I could find for you in my archive a 0/0274/0042 smock eagle, period sewn. This should help, I hope. The eagle in question is probably (imho) the easiest to be found among smocks eagles: should not be too difficult to get one.

I also agree with Steve that both of the eagles you shown is not suitable. In particular, I would ask for more opinion concerning originality of the first one.

Daniele
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Daniele Tirelli; 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Nice eagle, Daniele

GM eagles are expensive, but at least they do turn up.

A subdued HBT eagle might be OK for the other smock.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Steve! How are your doing?

Totally agree with you, in that ANY smock eagle is not cheap anymore... anyway, I was trying to point out, in order to "encourage" Floris, that the eagle required is not an early GM, but a mid/late one, which is less rare than the early one, imho. Another question is the price... as you wisely pointed out, when you find THE ONE that matches your needs for a nice restoration, it is wise not to be too picky and try and save maybe 100/200$, when you already spent maybe several K for the smock. A good job will surely reward you in the end, no matter if you spent 100/200 more for a nice eagle. Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys! You are right when it comes to choosing the right
                            eagle for the smock, I may absolutely not try to save money on this, the result
                            will be so much better with the correct eagle.

So if I understand correctly... both my smocks could be completed with either
                            a late war green GM eagle OR a splinter GM eagle... right?

Comment

Hi
                              I fully agree with Steve´s and Daniele´s choices on that these eagles are the correct ones, and the ones the smocks were born with.

Floris told me he fevour the Normandy scene so I´ve adviced him to go with the eagle below, which also are on F. Habelt´s 44 modified rollars smocks, and will make his smock appear a little "Younger", and because the Subdued green HBT eagle are almost impossible to find IMO.
                              A GM eagle on this F. Habelt smock is not the way to go, as they only were used on their "Tropical splinter" smocks. Best Jan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X