Camo para

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
    I am really disappointed by the shallow assessment, and firm pronoucement on this helmet.

We know that worn helmets were camoed during the war, presenting areas of wear with camo paint over them. Are we saying that is the case on this helmet? Or are we saying the decals were damaged with the obvious "nick" marks when the decals were uncovered? There is camo paint in damaged areas.

Most, but not all, M38 DDs used early M38 liners and chinstraps. We know some, but very few, used early M40 liners and chinstraps. We also know some DDs were worked on during the war. This liner is not an early M40 liner. It is obviously marked as a "Werner Zahn" subcontractor. So, when was the liner swapped out? The left rear bolt appears to have no apple green or tan paint on it.
    Hi Willi,

When I held the helmet in hand the decals appeared to have been either dug, or liberated using a chemical process which we all know can be done. I think the decals were damaged when they were uncovered.

As for the liner, I don't recall the bolts having been messed with but it really didn't matter for me at that point because of the decals. I had already moved on.

Comment

Hi Guys
      Thanks for the analysis.
      Willi,with regard to your concern about the paint on the bolt,if you look closely at the head on shot,there are traces of tan paint in the base of the two holes.
      Perhaps this is more apparent with a hands on.The color of the rest of the bolt is consistent with the rest of the current aged base color of the helmet

Comment

chips in the decals

Originally posted by Larry F. View Post
        Hi Willi,

When I held the helmet in hand the decals appeared to have been either dug, or liberated using a chemical process which we all know can be done. I think the decals were damaged when they were uncovered.

As for the liner, I don't recall the bolts having been messed with but it really didn't matter for me at that point because of the decals. I had already moved on.
        Larry, i think you will find that most of the damage/chipping to the decals was done before the helmet was painted over in tan camo which is very very obvious in the pictures.
        You probably didnt see this due to the fact that you were still counting all that money you made on your latest para camo helmet sales.
        Do you ever keep any helmets in your collection for more than a month.lol
        Last edited by mrhelmet; 12-05-2011, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by paul s. View Post
          Hi Guys
          Thanks for the analysis.
          Willi,with regard to your concern about the paint on the bolt,if you look closely at the head on shot,there are traces of tan paint in the base of the two holes.
          Perhaps this is more apparent with a hands on.The color of the rest of the bolt is consistent with the rest of the current aged base color of the helmet
          Paul, i understand what Willi is getting at. The bolt head in question has no paint on it, and yet the area around the bolt on the shell looks somewhat intact. A head on shot with the macro switched on and a steady hand should show if there is any paint inside the holes. Nobody is saying theres no paint in there or that the bolt has been switched for sure, but its hard to tell with these pictures, and as Willi said, they did get swapped and changed wartime.
          So get the camera back out Paul, and get us some nice close unblurd macro shots of the bolt head on and also the nut on the inside if possible, but be careful not to tear the leather trying to shoot the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhelmet View Post
            Larry, i think you will find that most of the damage/chipping to the decals was done before the helmet was painted over in tan camo which is very very obvious in the pictures.
            You probably didnt see this due to the fact that you were still counting all that money you made on your latest para camo helmet sales.
            Do you ever keep any helmets in your collection for more than a month.lol
            Nope, still think the decals were liberated either using a chemical or chipping or maybe even both.

As for keeping some helmets, I still have a few.

How's your vintage collection of Elvis paintings?

Comment

para camo

Originally posted by Larry F. View Post
              Nope, still think the decals were liberated either using a chemical or chipping or maybe even both.

As for keeping some helmets, I still have a few.

How's your vintage collection of Elvis paintings?
              Hey Larry, the Elvis paintings collection is coming on fine, i was talking to Elvis in Azda supermarket in the fresh fruit section only 2 weeks ago, and he has lost a lot of weight for sure.He says he has been keeping a low profile for some reason.
              Now getting back to the camo para, your saying that the decal was stripped/chipped off and then someone painted in the chips with tan paint.
              Thats a very interesting conclusion you have come to my dear.
              You must try and stop smoking those home made roll-ups mate as their twisting your mind.lol
              Well everyone can have their own opinion.

you know i luv ya really .

Comment

The national colours and part of the eagle has been exposed using chemical process I agree, look around the outside of the decal the paint is much lighter in colour. I agree I think there was a lot of damage to the decal prior to painting and hence the tan paint in some of the chips. The left rear bolt may have been swapped out as could the liner but all original parts. A good helmet spoilt by somone wanting to see the decals IMO.

Comment

interior shot of bolt
                  Attached Files

Comment

That bolt hasnt been touched.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X