• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton Twill backed Luftwaffe Eagle Opinions

Hi guys, your opinions on this eagle would be appreciated. Thanks
    John
    Attached Files

It's a very late one. They made these in two sizes: caps and breast eagles. Appears to have been a latewar replacement for the wool eagle.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

it's genuine but not for smocks .

Comment

Thanks Guys,
        John

Comment

Originally posted by clint-magnum View Post
          it's genuine but not for smocks .
          Aren't the backings the same for both posted eagles? Thanks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Larry F. View Post
            They're different.

Comment

Hi John
              I´m sorry Clint I also disagree, Your eagle john are still debated if it infact is a smock eagle see thread "FJ eagle jump smock original ?? or not ".

Best Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Larry F. View Post
                No, the backings are very different. I have some of both and they are not the same.
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by ZR1Jan View Post
                  Hi John
                  Your eagle john are still debated if it infact is a smock eagle see thread "FJ eagle jump smock original ?? or not ".
                  Jan, are you sure it is listed as a smock eagle on that thread?
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi
                    I can see why you´re a little confused, because there is a slight difference in the front fabric texture, one being ripped and the one in this thread being smooth, but the eagle pattern are exactly the same as is the back mesh fabric, so high likely made by the same maker, and IMO probably for the same kind of garment(smock).

I know you still think as them, as a replacement for wool all around, but until we see some turn up on other types of garment, I will go with my hunch that they are made for specific garments probably lightweight flying jackets/head gear, and used also on smocks. If you´re right and these do turn up on various clothing, I promise to eat all my words.

Maybe they are a discarded bunch of eagles as they do have a problem of fraying very easily, as seen on the smock piece with modified rollers, and they decided to not use them anymore.

Best Jan

Comment

Jan,

Here's an eagle cut from a light-weight flight suit. As you can see it is blue ( not grey like the known smock eagles) and is actually smaller by about 0.5cm , as Willi can testify.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Jan, I hear what you are saying and, like you, have studied these pretty hard. While I would like to believe they are smock eagles, IMO they are not. Yes, the eagle may exhibit similair features, but the backing fabric and detailss of construction are not the same. Plus, as of now we have not seen them on smocks.

We know this style of late eagle was made for the breast and cap. The exact same style of base fabric and backing details are also found on very late Luftwaffe trade badges. More proof that they were a very late replacement for wool. I can post one later.

Smock eagles in gray twill on the left, late eagles on the right.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Willi Zahn; 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM.
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Wow, I get to testify!!

Nice eagle Steve!

Originally posted by SMP View Post
                          Jan,

Here's an eagle cut from a light-weight flight suit. As you can see it is blue ( not grey like the known smock eagles) and is actually smaller by about 0.5cm , as Willi can testify.
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
                            Wow, I get to testify!!

Nice eagle Steve!
                            I sold it to you Willi . Don't you still have it ?

BTW - if you want to sell/ trade one of those loose gray eagles - give me a call .

Comment

I´m sorry Willi just saw your answer right now, which I will answer later today, as I short of time right now.

But this is for you steve;

OK steve I see that yours there are fairly dark blue, so that means that they varie in color.
                              under here are 2 examples that are
                              More grayblue precisely as the eagles in question really are (Grayblue, see pic).
                              (As I´m not that into flying jackets, I´m unsure if there´s a difference between a light weight flyingjacket and a
                              LW summer flight jacket??)

Here´s One summer jacket where both eagle and jacket are grayblue. this color fits these almost perfectly see last foto to compare

And one cutoff(former mine) grayblue jacket(believed to be a light weight flying jacket) with dark blue background.

The Bluegray white eagle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X