Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Oblong slots of M36 M37 FJ helmet

Hi!

I do not know very clearly yet for what the oblong slots in the M36 and M37 helmet shell are uesd. I learned from http://german-helmets.com/LUFTWAFFE%...chirm-Main.htm that the slots allowed the wearer to hang the carbine hooks on the sides of helmet when it was not used for parachute jumping. I am cufused by term "cabine hook". Is it the cabine hook of straps of helmet? We can see from some pics that straps hang on the sides of helmet through the slots without any cabine hook.

Somebody told me the slots were for hanging submachinegun or cabine during parachute jumping. I can hardly belive it. Can anybody help anwser me the question?

Thanks!
    Last edited by FJCN; 08-24-2011, 11:51 PM.

Originally posted by FJCN View Post
    Hi!

I do not know very clearly yet for what the oblong slots in the M36 and M37 helmet shell are uesd. I learned from http://german-helmets.com/LUFTWAFFE%...chirm-Main.htm that the slots allowed the wearer to hang the carbine hooks on the sides of helmet when it was not used for parachute jumping. I am cufused by term "cabine hook". Is it the cabine hook of straps of helmet? We can see from some pics that straps hang on the sides of helmet through the slots without any cabine hook.

Somebody told me the slots were for hanging submachinegun or cabine during parachute jumping. I can hardly belive it. Can anybody help anwser me the question?

Thanks!
    Absurd theory! The slots were for alternate placement of chin straps when jumping. Obviously, this was dropped for the standard, and similar, placement of M38 straps.
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thank you, John! Your reply is very helpful to me. I belive I can really learn lots of things from the people here. Actually it is the root cause that I join in this forum.

Comment

Many web sites are filled with utter nonsense by people who do not know what they are talking about, but fancy sites and photos make them appear to know.

The "carbine hooks" may be what they are calling the hooks which secure the straps to the slots when jumping.

This early arrangement of straps did not last long, and by the 1940 campaigns in the west they had been replaced by the early M38 style chinstraps and liners. Proven by most surviving M36/M37 helmets, which have early M38 liners, straps, and bolts.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi, Willi

The "carbine hooks" may be what they are calling the hooks which secure the straps to the slots when jumping.
          I agree.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X