Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallshirmjager strength

Who's good on fallshirmjager stats?
    What's the estimate on peak strength of Fallshirmjager units and what year?

Depends

Hello Perry,

Thinking of the units created, the peak number of personnel in FJ units would have been in 1944, right before or during the early portions of Normandy. If the question concerns 'jump qualified personnel', my guess would be at Crete or possibly 1942. With the virtual destruction of Ramcke's Brigade at El Alamein and in Tunisia, coupled with the annhiliation of the 2nd FJD during the winter of 1943/44 on the Ost Front, I'd say jump trained were rather hard to come by after that.
    Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Would you care to take a stab at peak manpower numbers?

Comment

Hi Perry,

That is a very tough question, but I don't agree with Bill at all.

By Normandy there were 5 Fallschirmjäger Divisions......the 1st thru the 5th. The 1st and 4th were fighting in Italy, while the 2nd, 3rd and 5th were fighting in Normandy. The majority of those in these divisions, at least in the FJRs, were jump qualified. Far more were jump qualified at this time than during 1941 or 1942 when there was only 1 FJ division present.

But, I think that early '45 had the greatest number of FJ formations. Most were no longer true FJs in the sense of training. By the fall of '44 the 6th division was formed....the winter of '44/'45 saw the 7th and 8th divisions formed..and in the spring of '45 the 9th and 10th divisions were formed. FJ strength during 1945 could have been as many as 100,000......compared to 11,000 during Kreta and until early 1943 when the 2nd FJD was formed after the 7th Flieger Division was renamed the 1st FJD. By Normandy there were probably roughly 60,000 FJs. Normandy was the break in the traditional FJ training...most up to that point recieved jump training and the majority of FJ specific gear and uniform items. After that the Luftwaffe was converting other Luft ground personnel or flight units with no aircraft into FJ formations. Same goes for the failed Luftwaffe experiment with the Field Divisions. By late '44 most of these went into the newly formed FJDs. But, by late '44 and '45 FJDs were FJ by name only........

Hope this helps,

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi, how many more combat jumps were made after Crete? Strictly combat....and excluding any SS clandestine jumps.....

Comment

Hi Perry,

I agree with Willi's evaluation, and did not respond earlier because actual numbers are sheer specualtion on my part. As Willi noted, these fellows at the end didn't have the extensive training like earlier Fj. I don't mean just being jump qualified. Fj were somewhat like our modern Special Forces, trained to take initative if officer's were killed or not present. One Fj veteran I know was trained for mortars but also fully trained on the MG 34. The masses of Fj at the end had nothing of this kind of expertise.

As for jumps, there were more than many are aware of. Several in Italy, Von der Heydte's unit during the Bulge. Ian Tannahill knows a veteran that jumped in Afrika. But Crete was incredible for it's scale, a record that will probably never be eclipsed.
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi Perry,

Just off the top of my head regarding jumps. Most of the 1st FJD jumped into Sicily in Aug of '43.......part of FJR6 jumped onto the island of Elba. Another part of FJR6 jumped near Rome in July of '43 to capture the Italian HQ, they jumped (maybe FJR7 and Brandenburg) jumped onto Leros in Nov '43. A small jump in Afrika..some other small jumps in Russia........then the Ardennes in Dec of '44.

German tactical doctrine called for FJ use in offensive operations. That along with the lack of the ability to project air superiority (crucial to airborne drops) negated the possible effectice use of FJs in the jump mode after 1943. But, the Wehrmacht continued to prepare for jump operations, which is why 5 divisions were ready for jmnp operations by the time of Normandy. The Ardennes was a perfect example of what happens when you no longer have air superiority. You have to use them at night...drops are scattered..transports are shot down. If you truly objectively study the Allied airborne operations during Sicily and Normandy...they are failures for these same reasons. Ineffective use of airborne forces and tremendously high casualties.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Had me curious ...

So I looked at "Normandy 1944: German Military Organization, Combat Power and Organizational Effectiveness". It's a very good book with detail. Here's what is said about the FJ units:

3rd FJD has a strength of 17,420 on May 22nd. Low on motorization, but with a high combat capability. Suffers over 30,000 casualties and was annihiliated in the Mons Pocket. Additional casualties over TO&E are due to temporary attachments from other divisions and replacements.

5th FJD had a strength of 12,836 on May 22nd. Von der Heydte said: "The 5. FJ Division was of little combat value. Less than 10% of the men had jump trained, at most 20% of the officers had infantry training and combat experience. Armament and equipment incomplete; only 50% of authorized number of machine guns; one regiment without helmets, no heavy AT weapons, not motorized." Division suffers about 8,000 casualties by September 1st.

6th FJD only had two of three regiments, and one of those was sent to the Eastern front after the destruction of AGC. Casualties are unknown, but it was one of the units to have broken out of the Falaise pocket.

6th FJR, part of the 2nd FJD that had been virtually annihilated on the Ost Front in the winter of 43/44. It had a strength of 3,457 on May 19, and was reinforced to a strength of 4,500 during the campaign. It suffered about 3,000 casualties during the Normandy campaign.

Now, we also know that the 1 FJD and 4 FJD had been heavily involved in the Cassino battles, and had suffered a large number of casualties. For the Germans to have jump trained that many men in so short an amount of time would have been a true achievement.

Concerning the Bulge drop, a little less than a battalion was dropped with von der Heydte. Why? They had insufficient transport and jump trained personnel available.

After the debacle in Normandy and the destruction of AGC, units were being brought up to strength with personnel shifted from the Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe ground personnel, boys, etc. I'll stick by my original answer, but I could be wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time!)
                Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Bill, I have this reference in my collection as well. I think it's well researched and written and has answered many a question.

Comment

Wish there were more like it!

Hi Perry,

You're absolutely correct. I wish other authors had the time or the gumption to go through other battles/campaigns as thoroughly. I realize that something like Barbarossa would be a little too large, but Kursk, Stalingrad, Cassino, El Alamein, etc. might be smaller examples that could work within the framework.

I was thinking more about the FJ early this morning. When the 22 LW Divisions were raised, a cadre was drawn from the FJ to provide experienced officers & NCOs for the new formations. (Plus it offered a quick promotion!) Add to that the creation of Pz Divison Herman Goring, you can see the stresses put on the manpower reserves of the LW and the Wehrmacht as a whole.

I also think that we have to remember that a lot of JU-52 at Stalingrad came from schools all over Germany. Jump training would have suffered, until losses were made up. Add to that casualties lost through normal attrition and combat, and the quality had to decline fairly rapidly. For instance, the 7th Flieger Division after Crete was engaged in Barbarossa, a mere month after the campaign. How do you replace such losses so quickly?

Anyway, it's all open to debate, and my opinion is just that.
                    Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Bill, what's "jump qualified" say after mid-43? 6 jumps?

Comment

You got me!

Perry,

I have no idea. Eric or Prosper could probably answer such questions. I know more about TO&E and combat effectiveness that I know about individual training. (There are also friends who tell me that less than zero is still zero!)
                        Last edited by moranimal; 06-12-2002, 06:38 PM.
                        Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

I really have a very tough time following what you guys are trying to say. Jump qualified means doing the 6 jumps to earn the badge. The 7th Flieger Division was rebuilt several times...each with newly jump qualified personnel. When the 4th FJD was sent to Italy in late '43 they have been raised and built in Germany before then........and received jump training at one of the many jump schools in Germany. There were more jump schools present in 1944 then any other time. 2 schools (Lyon and Dreux) had been set up in France in late '43 to train the 3rd and 5th FJDs. Yes, the 5th was not fully ready by Normandy. When the 2nd was sent to Italy in the summer of '43 they had already been jump qualifed. Then they were sent to Russia and rebuilt again in 1944, then sent to Brest in Aug of '44. FJR6 was sent to Normandy earlier.

Every FJ veteran, and I know many, that I know from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and even 5th FJDs had been jump qualified. The number of schools increased dramatically between 1941 and 1944. I can very easily list all the FJ jump schools that were in operation in 1944..but, I am not sure what you guys are disputing. The lack of jump training? The number of Ju52s needed for jump training? You need to read the many German sources out there which are rather detailed.

Willi
                          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Fallschirmschulen

Well, decided to pst some information on jump schools.

Fallschirmschule 1 (Stendal)- started in 1936.

Fallschirmschule 2 (Wittstock)- started in 1939 to add FJR2 to 7th Flieger.

Fallschirmschule 3 (Braunschweig)- started in the summer of 1940 during the continued growth of 7th Flieger.

Fallschirmschule 4 (Salzwedel)- started in the summer of 1941 to replace the losses after Kreta.

Those schools continued training FJs till the fall of 1944. I know one veteran of FJR16 (Ost) who did his 6 jumps in Germany in 1943, then deployed to France, then returned to Wittstock to do 8 night jumps before being deployed to Russia in the summer of 1944.

Fallschirmschule 1 sent cadre to Lyon and Dreux France in the fall of 1943 to establish those 2 schools to train the 3rd and 5th FJDs.

Another 2 schools were established: one near Belgrade for the SS paras in late '43, and another at Papa near Budapest in 1944.

All of the above school were full time schools which continued to train FJs in their 6 jumps regardless of the demands of the aircraft on the fronts. They used Italian aircraft and He111s also starting in late '43. Collectors such as Eric, George P. and myself have lieterally hundred of jump records which indicate the school, the jumps, the altitude of the jumps, the aircraft used and whether they jumped with weapons. Most of these records are from late '43 to early '44. So, by far 1944 had the greatest number of jump qualified FJs. But, the very confusing first question only ask for numbers in FJ formations (which was '45 with almost 10 divisions and several other regiments in place) and not whether they were jump qualified.......which is 6 jumps. I even know I FJ veteran (who sadly recently passed away) who pulled me aside at a function to whisper his secret in my ear. His secret, and he felt rather ashmed to tell me, was that he had only completed 5 jumps at Dreux and was not given his FJ badge. So, he went to Germany on leave and bought a badge and wore it anyway. He was in a hospital in France during the Normandy invasion (he was attached to FJR9 of the 3rd FJD). He had to bicyle his way to the front and rejoined his unit in early July of '44, only to be captured on the 10th of July. You won't read those stories in a book........

Willi
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I'm not trying to slight the FJs

Hello Willi,

I'm not trying to diminish the war records or combat capability of the FJ in any way, shape or form. The question concerned the peak of the FJ in both strength and quality by opinion. My guess was 1941 or 1942 for quality, May 1944 for quantity. The reason being casualties and training requirements.

Look at the 2nd, 3rd, 5th & 6th FJD right before Normandy. The 2nd is being rebuilt, with only the 6th FJR being considered combat capable at the time. The 3rd FJD is at full strength, but short motorization and artillery. The 5th is understrength by 5,000 men, and only 10% are jump trained. (One battalion only had a total of 38 rifles!) The 6th FJD is missing an infantry regiment, and other divisional units are only 40 to 60% ready. They are all drawing on the FJ replacement pools of the LW, along with the 1st & 4th FJD in Italy - and those divisions are in the process of the great Cassino battles and the Allied capture of Rome.

Only one (3 FJD) of the four FJD in France are ready for combat. 100% jump qualified? I don't know. In fact, the 6 FJD has a training regiment as one of its two - instead of three - component regiments. It just seems to me that with the shortages of manpower the Germans are suffering, training is going to be shortened in order to fill the ranks. (This was true in many Heer units.) As you can see, the many of the divisions in France aren't even up to strength in quiet areas, i.e. pre-Normandy.

If you look at the German order of battle right before the destruction of AGC, only one infantry division (78th Sturm) is rated at level one. The majority are at level 3 or 4, meaning that they are only good for defensive battles or should be pulled out of the line. Divisions are burning out while new one are being created out of ill-trained and equipped personnel. Personnel resources just aren't available.

If you believe that the FJ divisions were fully jump qualified and ready to go at Normandy, and that it was their peak establishment, you might be right. I just believe differently based on other factors.
                              Last edited by moranimal; 06-12-2002, 07:28 PM.
                              Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X