No announcement yet.

Kreta 70th Anniversary Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread Shaun, realy like the photo of the make shift hospital where General Meindl was taken after being wounded. my late friend Jager Charles Eckert , always recalled the same account , that when the shout , came that the general had been wounded he and another sani/ were the first to reach him and help bring Meindl back to the make shift dressing station/ hospital . thanks for posting Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
      Not wanting to make a mess in this very nice thread, but I would be curious to know how the local inhabitants feel about having German soldiers in uniform present at the commemoration of the invasion of their island?
      I believe that since the German invasion and occupation of Greece during WWII was something that happened 70 years ago and since it was for only 4 years, there wouldn't be any issues or extremely bad feelings left to local people today.

After all most of them were born long after the war. Besides there is not a traditional rivalry and/or hatred between the 2 nations. It was a conflict that took place just once in history. Also Greeks have a very good opinion for German people their economy and their very well organized country. Most of Greeks that have left the country to live somewhere else in order to work and make money, went to Germany. There are thousands of Greeks living in Germany till now. Furthermore the 2 countries have good relations between them and a lot of German companies are investing in Greece. For example Venizelos airport in Athens was built and it's being managed by German companies.

On the other hand the rivalry between Greece and Turkey goes back more than 600 years ago. I would say from the fall of Constantinople. That is a totally different thing. If a Turkish monument like that was built in Crete or any other place it would be demolished on the same day.

About the damages and spraying on the monument: I believe that they were made from fanatic nationalists, which is something found in any country. From their point of view it's normal. I can understand their way of thinking despite the fact that i wouldn't take a similar action.
      Last edited by don_kihotis7; 08-23-2011, 01:11 PM.
      sigpicLooking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Comment

Great photos Shaun! I am just getting caught up with threads in here...
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hans Sack of 15 kompanie at the taverna maleme

We were privileged to be invited at the luncheon at Taverna Maleme after the German ceremony and meet Hans Sack of 15 kompanie and other veterans. Hans told us he was in a M.G squad in the Sturm regt.

Last edited by mikesmythe; 08-28-2011, 11:01 PM. Reason: improved photo quality

Comment

Hello Mike, i must inform you that this man is not Hans Sack.....check your photos again. Hans Sack is wearing glasses and he was sitting next to this veteran.

Comment

Hans Sack

thanks for pointing that out Skarts. though that is what he signed my book Fallschirmjager in Crete by JYN as along with the 15th komp details. i was able to get Gunter lehmann and Gunter Shutze to sign the book also, they were all impressed by the books content and quality.

Comment

Hans Sack

I see where i went wrong now Hans signed my book Fallschirmjager in Crete by JYN along with the 15th komp details. i was able to get Gunter lehmann and Gunter Shutze to sign the book also, they were all impressed by the books content and quality.[/QUOTE]

Comment

On foto for sure Günther Lehmann!
                  regards
                  Gehlert

Comment

Hans Sack

I found this one taken at the German lunch at Maleme.

Comment

lunch after the German memorial service

I found this one taken at the German lunch at taverna Maleme.

Comment

Excellent thread!

Comment

Shaun, think i met up with you at the cemetry with the veterans. There were 4 of us at least from the forum!

Like you, i thoroughly enjoyed listening to the vets re-counting their experiences. No point in me posting my photos,i seem to have followed in your footsteps,ha!

Manny

Comment

Another view of Hans Sack

Comment

Hans Sacks is a great guy glad to see he is still well.

Regards
                              David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X