Help ! FJ DKG Wehrpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help ! FJ DKG Wehrpass

Well, well. don't be too much excited.This is only a Bundeswehr Wehrpass which belonged to Hptmn. Wilhelm Hubert.
    On 29.09.44, as Oberleutnant, he get the DKG.
    I checked in the Scherzer's Book (Die Träger des DKG der LW 1941-45) and the date I found was 01.01.45.
    The unit is unkown, so I was wondering if somedody has any information about him.
    By 1945, he was probably in the FJR 20.
    Concerning the price of the stuff, I get it for 86.50 Euros through an auction on the Net.
    Jean-Yves

Jean-Yves

Hello Jean-Yves:
    the last signature of May 1945 was that of Maj. Grassmehl. The Biblio series on German divisions and Tessin mention that the F.J.Rgt. Grassmehl was used to form the FJRgt. 20 which became part of 7. F.J.Div. with date of Oct. 1944.Therefore as you mention, this officer may very well have served in that regiment.
    The Biblio volume on the division which normally lists all recipients of higher awards , shows no recipients for D.K.i.G.
    Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Thank you very much. It is not easy when you don't have the document directly from the owner or the family.
      JYN

Comment

Concerning 1943, he fought with the FJR 5 under the command of Koch and then Schirmer in Tunisia. But after ?

JYN

Comment

Hello again Jean-Yves:
          FJR 5 became Jaeger Rgt. "H.G." , as of Feb.1943. Commander III./ J.R. "H.G." until Apr. 1943 was Maj.G. Schirmer. Also the name of Gen. Josef Schmid appears who was commander of Kampfgruppe "General Goering" until May 1943. Based in Italy during rebuilding to Pz.Div. "H.G." per K. Mehner "Die Luftwaffe 1939-1945".
          It seems likely this officer may well have been assigned or reassigned to this "H.G." formation . Still later he may have been transferred to training/repl. unit in Northern Europe from which he went into the unit commanded by Maj. Grassmehl which was to become FJR 20.
          Of course I have no good substantiation for the above except the sources (Mehner and the Wehrpass).
          Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

Hi Jean-Yves,
            I have checked by books on DK winners and unfortunately came up with the same date 1.1.1945. Three sources (2 much the same but 1 updated!).
            "Die Träger des Deutschen Kreuzes in Gold" Author Horst Scheibert.....Has Hubert listed as Oberleutnant u. Kompaniefüghrer in ein Fallschirmjäger Regiment.
            "Die Träger des Deutschen Kreuzes in Gold der Luftwaffe 1941-45" Author Veit Scherzer..unknown Fj. unit
            "Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941-1945". Author Klaus Patzwall & Veit Scherzer......same date and unit as above.

With the date being 1944 perhaps he was reccomended for DKiG with his previous unit and not Graßmel/Fj.Rgt. 20!!!!

Info re: units...echoing Bernhard....

Fallschirmjäger Regiment Graßmel formed September 1944 from Fallschirmjäger Ausbildung units in Germany, Holland and Belgium, also from remains of the destroyed 6 Fallschirmjäger Division. Renamed Fallschirmjäger Regiment 20. Part of Fallschirmjäger Division Erdmann renamed on 9.10.1944 to 7 Fallschirmjäger Division.

Fallschirmjäger Regiment 20 formed 9.10.1944 on the front near Venlo from Fallschirmjäger Regiment Graßmel. Part of 7 Fallschirmjäger Division.

/Ian
            Last edited by Ian Jewison; 06-03-2002, 12:50 PM.
            Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hi Berhnard and Ian,

Thank you both for your information.

Jean-Yves

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X