"Experimental" Jump Smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Experimental" Jump Smock

This is an interesting photo which was in an album I recently picked up. The owner of the album was in the FIK, 1.FIB ( von Brandis ), 5./FJR1 ( Straehler-Pohl ) and I.(Lehr)/FJR3 ( Von der Heydte ). One of the functions of the Lehr Balt. was to test and evaluate new equipment which was in the final stage of development. This photo is of a man from I./3 wearing what I can only characterize as an "experimental" smock of some sort. Notice the flare cartridge holders on the left upper sleeve. Perhaps Willi and John can tell us more about these smocks. What were all the added/improved features? Did they ever go into production? If not why? Have any real examples ever shown up?

Outstanding pic Eric!! Can you rip that out and give it to me for my B'day??......:-)

I love the breech cover for the 98k and the muzzle cover.

On the flare loops added to the smock, you are correct that Lehr elements experimented with modifications such as this. ASnd yes, I have seen a smock like this. A 10-43 dated splinter smock which had flare loops and a small map pocket added to the sleeves. It was brought back from Normandy by a rather famous 101st Airborne officer. I have a bunch of photos of this smock which will be published in the near future. George has the original order and diagram authorizing this modification. Seems like it was sometimes encountered in Normandy and probably done by units training in France...have seen a few pics.

Your photo is early which is unique. He wears a step-in splinter smock. Note the e-tool and the canteen with no cup.

Very cool.......

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

modified jump smocks

Hi Guys,

Once had a splinter step in that had additional pockets added to the outside of the lower pockets. Before I acquired the smock someone removed these added pockets, but the stitching was clearly there. Have a period photo of an identical type modification that I'll post on this thread later on.
      Best,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Giday Eric,

I love the web like strap that the jäger has used to attach the rifle to his right forearm. I have been corresponding with a vet who made a night jump in North africa. He too used a strap to attach his machine gun to his forearm. Until today, I had no real idea what the strap looked like.

Thanks Eric for posting the picture.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Here it is...

Hi Ian. Glad to hear you are still kicking!

The pockets on this smock are where the stitching holes were on the one I had. It too had Oberjaeger rank insignia.

Best,
          John
          Attached Files
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Good catch on the web line Ian. Funny thing, just as I was reading some on this forum a FJ veteran called me. He served as a Fallschirm Pionier and has one of the sharpest memories I have ever known. He said those straps to tie the weapons on jumps were called "binde Linie". He used one too.....he said his unit tied the weapon into the harness of the chute. I asked him about the forearm, he said that he did not. He said they used a long line, 10 meters, called the Czech Linie, for some weapons. Somewhere I have a similar photo like the one that Eric posted showing a FJ with a MP40 with a line tied to his belt.

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Very nice photo John. Any idea what exactly those extra pockets were for? Did they have a specific purpose of just general utility?

Thanks,

Eric

Comment

Hi Eric,

Whatever these pockets were for they were very specific. Note how the pocket on the right actually hangs below the smock. They are slightly trapezoid in shape. Always felt this OberJaeger was a Pionier skilled in "bunker busting", but that's only an assumption. What are your thoughts?

Best,
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X