Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with this picture

This is supposed to be, according to the caption, an Ogefr. from
    II./FJR1, Braunschweig, 1939. I can see at least 8 things wrong with this illustration. Can you guys find them and perhaps more?

a lot!

Hi Eric,

Two static lines; must be a rare twin canopy model. The knife is the black checkered handle British copy of the German flyer's knife.

best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

some more

To get really picky....The colors of the smock and trousers are not correct. The zippers of the smock are too exposed. The other line, if it is supposed to be suspension, is drawn incorrectly, as is the chute's "bag." Won't discuss the other obvious errors and steal all the fun........
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Good John,

Let's see.....that's

1. the handle of the Kappmesser
        2. color of the trousers
        3. color of the M-36 army smock
        4. suspension line of the parachute ( also, it seems to me that someone has tried to render a RZ-16 chute here which would be wrong for this time. I believe the RZ-16 was first introduced in early 1940. This man should be wearing the RZ-1 )

OK guys, what are the other 4 things.

Here's a hint. There are at least three things wrong with the helmet.

EQ

Comment

Ok, will give it a go and add to what has already been said.

The helmet is an M37 with a M38 liner and straps..an upgrade is possible, but not in 1938. The helmet is bluegray, which is unlikey. The helmet is missing the side front M35 style rivets which all M36/37s have.

That line on his right side is one of the two risers. The static line is over his shoulder.

The knee pads are the wrong color, and as this appears to be a 1938 style drawing, I would like to see the early style pads under the trousers.

He wears a first model Heer jump smock which is ok.

The gloves should be brown.

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

a bit more

The zippers really should be almost hidden by tight overlapping seams, and probably nickle plated, not brass in color.

Right on the helmet Willi. And right on the gloves; though I have seen real gloves that were almost black (more like charcoal) but they were 44 dated. Never saw early ones except in brown.
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yes John, you are right on the zippers....should be nice early nickle plated ones. Have only handled one original of these...yes, though not covered with a flap, the zippers are more concealed due to the lip of the fabric.

Agree on the gloves, my crude '44 dated pair are very dark.

I guess we spoiled the game John......

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Giday everyone,

Both ends of the straps of the knee pads seem to be attached by way of a buckle?

What about the colour of the jump gloves. Did they ever produce jump gloves that were black?

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X